Location and Job Title:
Summer Camp Lifeguard - Cold Spring/Hudson Valley, NY
Surprise Lake Camp
382 Lake Surprise Road
Cold Spring, NY 10516
The position runs from mid-June to late August, requires six days per week, and roughly 10-12 hours per day. Lifeguards are a full part of our camp community and are provided housing plus three meals per day.
- Lifeguards are directly supervised by and responsible to the Waterfront Director and Division Head.
- Assist with maintenance of waterfronts and equipment.
- Maintain waterfront safety standards throughout camp.
- Supervise waterfront during general swims and assign counselors to posts as per direction from the Waterfront Director.
- Teach campers during instructional swims as per current guidelines of the American Red Cross.
- Serve in rotation of boat patrol.
- Rake beach as needed.
- Assist with boat dock as needed.
- Participate in waterfront drills.
- Assist Waterfront Director in maintaining waterfront records.
- Serve as relief counselors when waterfront is not in use and during Trip Break.
- Attend all meals and assist with Dining Room supervision where assigned.
- Participate in camper programs when waterfront is closed.
- Serve in waterfront OD (on duty) rotation.
- Assist in setting up and dismantling waterfront facilities and equipment during pre-season as indicated by contract.
- Help with luggage loading, unloading and distribution both in city and at camp.
- Report to supervisor for re-assignment if an activity period is cancelled.
- Serve as a role model and provide support to campers when needed.
- Fully participate in general staff orientation and all staff meetings.
- Be willing to request help, advice, and feedback from peers and/or supervisors.
- Be responsible for knowing and adhering to camp policies, procedures, safety, and emergency policies.
- Report all suspicions of child abuse, bullying, or rule-breaking to proper authorities.
- Report injuries or behavioral issue to the supervisor.
- Serve in shmira (night duty) rotation as scheduled.
- Help prepare camp for opening at beginning of summer and final clean up at end of summer.
- Be consistent. Remember that you, too, are worthy of rest and renewal. Take care of yourself.
- Must be at least 17 years of age.
- Must have current American Red Cross Waterfront Lifeguarding certification or acceptable equivalent
- Must have American Red Cross CPR or CPR for the Professional Rescuer or acceptable equivalent
- Strong communication and teamwork skills.
- Commitment to foster a community that celebrates inclusivity and camp's values.
- Be flexible with the changing needs of the program.
Since 1902, Surprise Lake Camp has provided a haven for children in the beautiful mountains of Cold Spring, NY. What makes SLC the best is the beauty of the site, the richness of the people and the program, the sense of history and tradition, and the magic we create when the whole thing comes together. We blend a commitment to traditional, rustic camp experiences with state of the art recreational facilities and are particularly proud of our open, inclusive community that is sensitive to the needs of interfaith and diverse families and staff.