Location and Job Title:
Surprise Lake Camp
520 8 Ave
New York, NY 10018
Positions are residential and include room and board and are for the duration of the summer program, although qualified local applicants/commuters may be considered. The time commitment is mid-June to late August.
- Instruct and coach campers ranging from 7-15 years of age.
- Create program outlines for campers with a wide range of ability levels.
- Create program outlines that include time for instruction as well as playing.
- Work with teams to prepare for intercamp/intracamp games and / or tournaments.
- Facilitate staff intercamp/intracamp games and / or tournaments.
- Serve as a role model and provide support to campers when needed.
- Fully participate in general staff orientation and all staff meetings.
- Be willing to request help, advice, and feedback from peers and/or supervisors.
- Be responsible for knowing and adhering to camp policies, procedures, safety, and emergency policies.
- Report all suspicions of child abuse, bullying, or rule-breaking to proper authorities.
- Report injuries or behavioral issue to the supervisor.
- Complete all written camper evaluations at end of each session.
- Serve in shmira (OD) rotation.
- Help prepare camp for opening at beginning of summer and final clean up at end of summer.
- Be consistent. Remember that you, too, are worthy of rest and renewal. Take care of yourself.
- Minimum of 21 years of age.
- Previous soccer coaching experience at the elementary or high school levels.
- Strong organizational, communication and teamwork skills.
- Commitment to foster a community that celebrates inclusivity and camp's values.
- Be flexible with the changing needs of the program.
Since 1902, Surprise Lake Camp has provided a haven for children in the beautiful mountains of Cold Spring, NY. What makes SLC the best is the beauty of the site, the richness of the people and the program, the sense of history and tradition, and the magic we create when the whole thing comes together. We blend a commitment to traditional, rustic camp experiences with state of the art recreational facilities and are particularly proud of our open, inclusive community that is sensitive to the needs of interfaith and diverse families.