Location and Job Title:
Career Ready SYEP Coordinator Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) Youth Workforce Dept.
Commonpoint Queens - Samuel Field Y
58-20 Little Neck Parkway
Little Neck, NY 11362
The Commonpoint Queens Youth Workforce Department is composed of several different programs serving individuals predominantly from 14-21 years old. The individual hired as a School Based SYEP Program Coordinator will be working at a DOE high school based in Queens and supervising the Career Ready SYEP programming at multiple DOE schools.
Program Overview: In collaboration with the New York City Department of
Education (DOE), Department of Youth and Community Development, the Samuel
Field Y will run a Summer Youth Employment Program for approximately students
at a select school in Queens. The
School-Based SYEP model is designed to strengthen connections between academic
learning and summer career exploration, while providing youth with summer
employment and educational experiences. These principles include engaging
the talents and interests of youth, developing their skills and competencies,
and providing positive adult role models. The Full-Time Program Coordinator will report to the Director of Career Ready SYEP
and objectives of Career Ready Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) are:
provide a valuable work experience at job sites that are safe and well
assist youth in identifying their career interests through exposure to
different industries, occupations, educational pathways, and the requirements
for success in each of them.
enable youth to acquire positive work habits and develop employment-related
facilitate the long-term employment and self-sufficiency of youth.
enable youth to develop a greater understanding of higher education and career
options available to them.
enable youth to develop financial literacy and other competencies that will prepare
them to succeed in their transition to adulthood.
are multiple Coordinator positions available, each of which will oversee 2-3
DOE schools in Queens. Locations will vary and be discussed during the
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Program Coordinator will:
- Maintain all DYCD contractual obligations of the SYEP program at multiple DOE School locations and ensure that targets are being met on a weekly and monthly basis.
- Establish and maintain external collaborations with individuals and businesses to develop employment opportunities for high school students.
- Be accountable for in-school job development and participant recruitment targets.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with Department of Education (DOE) staff, youth, parents, and partners.
- Work in a collaborative team, including participation in staff meetings, contractor meetings, and staff development in order to ensure program success.
- Coordinate recruitment and enrollment of program participants.
- Communicate with student applicants and participants by telephone and email.
- Assist with data collection and tracking of program outcomes to support reporting.
- Manage workflow by ensuring deadlines are met and work completed correctly.
- Perform general administrative duties, such as maintaining enrollment documents, management of YEPS database systems, and performing basic data-entry work.
SPECIFICATIONS FOR EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
- Bachelor's Degree in Education, Social Work, Non-Profit management, or another relevant subject required.
- Experience and/or understanding of SYEP programs
- Ability to convey and participate in team-oriented work.
- Ability to travel within Queens from one school location to another.
- Strong project management skills, including managing competing priorities and meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrate cultural competency through familiarity in working with people from a very diverse number of backgrounds.
- Outcome driven with ability to respond to changing circumstances and priorities.
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively under pressure.
- Strong communication, written & verbal; interpersonal, networking, and transactional skills.
- Computer literate, including experience with Google Drive (Gmail, Calendar, Contacts, Docs, etc.); local area networks; and efficient use of the Internet.
- Familiarity with local placement agencies, job developers and opportunities preferred.
Hours: Full-Time - 35HPW
Location: Multiple positions available, locations will vary across 2-3 partner DOE schools in Queens
Start Date: ASAP
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
How to apply: Please email a cover letter and r?sum?, to Adam Fier, Director of SYEP Initiatives, at AFier@commonpointqueens.org.Please indicate "Career Ready SYEP - Program Coordinator" in the subject of email.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Commonpoint Queens reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. Commonpoint Queens is an equal opportunity employer/program. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.
$45,000 - $55,000
Commonpoint Queens is a non-profit, multi service agency with a flagship site in Forest Hills and 50 additional sites throughout the community that provides a diverse array of programs and services to over 35,000. Our mission is to sustain and enhance the quality of family and individual life for all members of our community, regardless of religion, ethnic or cultural background, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual preference, age, or disability, within a pervasive and inclusive environment that facilitates individual growth, meets individual needs and builds community. We accomplish this mission through a broad range of social, educational, and recreational services that reach community members of all ages and backgrounds.