Location and Job Title:
After School (SONYC) Program Director
YM & YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood
54 Nagle Ave
New York, NY 10040
Over the past years the Y has expanded its programmatic offerings to include several government-funded programs, mainly through the Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD). As part of the Y's External Youth Programs, the SONYC After School Program Director at Columbia Secondary School (CSS) will work in partnership with another SONYC After School program, a COMPASS HIGH (High School) After School program, and Workforce Development Programs including Summer Youth Employment Programs (SYEP). The position will expose the successful candidate to regular meetings with Directors from other areas, including Day Camp, After School for Elementary-aged children, Center for Jewish Life, Inclusion Programs, Literacy Programs, and others.
DYCD's SONYC programs represent an enhanced afterschool model that builds on the best features of DYCD-funded programs and emerging trends in the field. Accordingly, SONYC programs are expected to support all the following overarching goals:
- Foster academic, social and emotional competencies and physical well-being in a safe and nurturing environment.
- Provide opportunities for youth to explore their interests and creativity.
- Build skills that support academic achievement and raise participant expectations and confidence.
- Cultivate youth leadership and community engagement.
- Engage parents and other caretakers to support the above goals.
The SONYC After School Program Director for CSS is responsible for overseeing all areas of CSS' Middle School after school program. The Y's SONYC program at CSS is currently contracted by DYCD to serve 246 participants, with a budget of over $800,000. The SONYC Program Director is an integral part of the CSS community and participates in regular meetings with the leadership of the school.
- Overall responsibility for program design, effective service delivery, and all administrative tasks including reporting in a timely manner to DYCD.
- Serve as part of the Y's management team and CSS' leadership team.
- Ensure full compliance with DoH's and DYCD's operational, and facilities requirements.
- With support from HR, recruit, hire, train and evaluate staff in compliance with Y, DOE & DOH regulations.
- Recruit and enroll at least 246 students from 6th - 8th grade via DYCD Connect.
- Ensure daily attendance is being appropriately inputted and tracked on DYCD Connect.
- Ensure a Rate or Participation (RoP) of at least 75%.
- Connect and engage students and their families to program services.
- Ensure program complies with DYCD requirements including:
- offering a total of 540 program hours, of which 324 hours are for structured activities and 216 hours may be structured or unstructured program content. Structure activities must include enrichment, academic support, leadership development and physical activity/healthy living content. These activities must be relevant to participants' interests and lives and reflect students' voice and choice. All activities are to strengthen student engagement via project-based learning.
- Offer a minimum of two hours per week of literacy or STEM and Leadership Development.
- Host two end of cycle showcases to engage the school community and families in students' demonstrated learning.
- Comply with SACC Regulations to provide program participants with appropriate food and snacks.
- Guide and direct the implementation of the Y's selected monthly values in the after school program.
- Pivot between virtual and in-person program as needed based on health considerations and guidance from governmental authorities.
- Oversee PR efforts and provide the Y's Managing Director for Marketing and Communications with relevant information in a timely manner.
- Participate in all Y's management team activities, including but not limited to:
- Programming Team meetings
- After School Directors meetings
- Weekly supervision with supervisor (Managing Director for External Youth Programs)
- At least one of the Programming Team's Committees.
- DYCD compulsory trainings and meetings.
- Occasional Lunch and Learns at the Y are encouraged.
- Work in collaboration with the Y's CSS COMPASS High Program Director, Education Specialist, and Social Worker to develop a pipeline of program offerings to sustain youth development efforts.
- Coordinate efforts for all SONYC staff to engage in agency-wide Y programs.
- Oversee coordination of program schedules, calendar and vacation programming.
- Attend CSS' bi-weekly school leadership meetings.
- Keep timely and ongoing communication with supervisor.
- Prepare and monitor program budget with supervisor and in coordination with the Y's Finance Team.
- Manage contractual and programmatic relationships with subcontractors.
- Ensure timely submission and filing of lesson plans.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other functions and responsibilities may change or may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
YM & YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
- Full-time position
- Monday - Friday. There might be occasional weekend activities.
- Usual hours: 10:00AM-6:30PM
- Able to travel via subway and bus.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Comfortable working in inclusive and diverse environments.
- Comfortable working with and engaging Middle School students.
- Solid organizational skills including attention to details.
- Proven planning, implementing, monitoring, and evaluation skills; can work in a well-planned and organized manner; can follow through multiple deliverables.
- Organization and people savvy; can make informed decisions; can collaborate, lead and develop others, influence, forge strong partnerships and maintain cordial, professional relationships.
- Creative and innovative in the fields of youth enrichment and education.
- Comfortable dealing with change, multiple competing priorities and fluid environment; flexible and adaptable especially when faced with challenging situations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; able to clearly and appropriately communicate in a variety of settings and styles.
- Proficient in the use of DYCD Connect, Google Suite, Zoom, Google Classrooms, MS Office applications, social media and other technology platforms for youth programs.
- Current First Aid and CPR certification.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Master's Degree preferred; Bachelor's Degree in relevant field required.
- Approved by DoH (or have all required credentials) to serve as a SACC Program Director / Site Supervisor.
- At least 3 years successfully supervising staff in a relevant field.
- At least 5 years of successful experience - within the past 8 - providing services to Middle School-aged youth and working with school personnel (e.g. Principals, Teachers, Guidance Counselors, and Parent Coordinators).
- Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred.
WORK AUTHORIZATION & CLEARANCES
- Documentation of U.S. citizenship or eligibility to work in the U.S.
- Must pass the background check, medical form and fingerprinting through the Department of Health.
Established in 1917, YM & YWHA of Washington Heights and Inwood (the "Y") is a not-for-profit Jewish community center that welcomes people of all backgrounds and beliefs. We offer a wide range of educational, recreational and social services programs to enhance the quality of life of the people we serve. From topnotch early childhood education and youth development programs to innovative senior center services, there's always something for everyone at the Y!