Location and Job Title:
Culinary Arts Assistant
Merage JCC of Orange County
One Federation Way
Irvine, CA 92603
Twenty- hour per week position within the Cultural Arts Department supervised by the Culinary Arts Director. Job requires some regular evening and week end shifts.
She/he must be skilled in teaching and making presentations to groups (of students/participants) and in explaining culinary techniques at fundamental to advanced levels. Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and effective communication are also required.
She/he should be self-motivated and possess strong interpersonal and excellent customer service skills. The ability to function and act independently while at the same time working well with others in a team environment is crucial.
Job Responsibilities Include:
- Teaching Culinary Arts classes including preschool and day camp programs, in an engaging and interactive way. Promoting a positive learning environment with hands-on learning.
- Maintaining a sanitary and safe teaching/demonstration kitchen, following JCC Kosher protocols at all times.
- Assisting in management of kitchen and equipment to ensure proper working order and operation.
- Preparing set up and breakdown for each class, including washing dishes, and cleaning kitchen.
- Assists with shopping for ingredients, class preparation and additional support as needed or directed by the Culinary Arts Director.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned.
- Culinary school education preferred
- Experience teaching culinary classes a plus
- Interest and passion for culinary arts; familiarity with culinary trends and food movements a plus
- Knowledge of Kosher dietary guidelines and rules; experience cooking in a Kosher kitchen a plus
- Proactive, organized, creative problem solver
- Innovative, passionate, and excited to grow the Culinary Arts program
- Ability to operate independently in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications and social media tools
- Strong customer service skills; ability to handle constituents with a helpful and calm demeanor
The Merage Jewish Community Center of Orange County is a 220,000 square-foot facility on 30 acres of land in beautiful Orange County, California where 300 children attend our Preschool .Orange County is home to some 100,000 Jews and sits between Los Angeles and San Diego and in between the Pacific Ocean and the San Bernardino Mountains.