Location and Job Title:
The Memphis Jewish Community Center (MJCC)
6560 Poplar Ave.
Memphis, TN 38138
Sports Director must be passionate and motivated to lead successful sports programs and activities at the MJCC. Sports programming at the MJCC is expected to be managed on a high level of coordination, communication and adapt to the changing needs of the members and trends in the field. Ensure the promotion of sports programming growth, safety, member satisfaction and member retention through sports program participation and facility excellence.
- Oversee operations of all sports programming
- Maintain ongoing communication with members and participants of JCC sports and leagues
- Maintain high membership conversion ratios through improved program participation
- Conduct ongoing assessment and evaluation of all sports programming performances andimplement program changes and/or enhancements as needed
- Provide leadership and vision in the improvement and development of existing and new innovative sports and recreation program development to better meet the needs of members and the community
- Implement and direct department promotional and retention strategies for new and existing sports programs
- Develop and maintain effective gym, facility scheduling and equipment to best serve members of all ages; establish policies, procedures and guidelines for staff to ensure quality member experience
- Plan the annual department budget; manage and implement the approved budget and take appropriate action to correct variances. Take lead role in implementing and managing program sponsorship initiatives, insuring department financial viability
- Responsible for ordering equipment and supplies for the sports and leagues and ensure that equipment is properly secured and maintained
- Participate in regular departmental meetings and building coverage
- Provide ongoing maintenance to sports equipment and facilities. Report unclean conditions, safety hazards and malfunctioning equipment
- Work heavily with other JCC departments to enhance activities and programs
- Supervise, train and support assigned staff and volunteers, develop, plan and implement new procedures, systems and methods to promote program growth, safety, member satisfaction and member retention through program participation and facility excellence
- Oversee internal marketing and communication efforts to maximize enrollments and program participation
- Identify and resolve program problem areas to ensure member satisfaction
- Produce department operation reports as needed
- Represent and promote the MJCC in the community as needed and develop positive working relationships with other organizations, business and governmental entities
- Complete additional duties as assigned by the supervisor
- Maintain First Aid / CPR / AED certifications
- Knowledge of computers and software applications as related to sports
- Demonstrated knowledge of sports programming and equipment
- Knowledge of sports planning, control and scheduling
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Demonstrated customer service and public relations skills
- Bachelor's degree Recreation or related field or experience equivalent
- Three years management experience in coordinating sports and/or leagues
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to make oral presentations, direct and organize large program meetings.
- Ability to analyze statistical and financial data and use standard business mathematics to determine pricing, margins, marketing strategies, etc.
35,000 - 45,000
Located on 24 amazing acres in the heart of East Memphis, The Memphis Jewish Community Center has something for everyone of all shapes and sizes. We have an amazing Early Childhood Center, an expanded Fitness Center, a large outdoor water park, an Art House, Senior Adult gatherings, Summer Camp, After School activities, and most importantly a welcoming environment.
Mission and Community Oriented: Accepts and demonstrates JCC values. Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits quality staff and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Provides assigned staff with orientation, training, development and recognition. Ensures high-level services.
People Oriented: Takes initiative to assist in developing others. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Speaks and writes effectively. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and support.
Results Oriented: Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively manages budgets.
Personal Development Oriented: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Shares new insights.
This job description may not be all inclusive and employees are expected to perform all other duties as assigned and directed by management. Job descriptions and duties may be modified when deemed appropriate by management.