Location and Job Title:
Group Fitness Instructor, Part-Time
Stroum Jewish Community Center
3801 East Mercer Way
Mercer Island, WA 98040
The Group Fitness Instructor is responsible for instructing Group Fitness classes (Pilates, Zumba,Yoga) which includes educating fitness class participants about useful and safe exercises that help them achieve exercise goals. Looking for weekday morning instructors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure all programs begin with the appropriate warm-up and pre-stretches and end with a cool-down.
- Observe students to determine physical capabilities and limitations in order to provide guidance during the class.
- Instruct and lead groups in beginning or advanced exercise according to schedule.
- Educate participants on safe techniques and guidelines.
- Explain and demonstrate techniques and body movements to musical or rhythmic accompaniment.
- Interact with members before and after exercise sessions and address their questions and needs.
- Create new routines that support exercise goals of participants.
- Select music to coordinate with new routines.
- Demonstrate and teach new routines to peers.
- Educate participants on various types of equipment used during class.
- Perform work on weekends and evenings as needed to meet applicable deadlines or scheduling needs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Pay: ($30-$50/hr) DOE
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Associate's degree (A. A.) or equivalent from a two-year college or technical school in health or a sports/fitness related field; at least one year of Personal Training and/or Group Fitness experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
Certificates and Licenses:
The following certificates/licenses are required and must be maintained:
- Certification by a nationally accredited organization such as American Council of Exercise (ACE), American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), or the National Strength and Conditioning Association Certification Personal Trainer (NSCA-CPT) and/or American Federation Aerobics Association (AFFA).
- Current CPR Certification.
- Computer Skills:
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office is preferred.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent, and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The information described below represents the physical activities and surroundings one may encounter when performing the duties of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical Demands: To perform the job, the employee is frequently required to talk, hear, stand, stoop, climb, balance, kneel, bend, crouch, crawl, and reach with hands and arms. The incumbent may be required to lift up to 25 pounds occasionally and push/pull up to 50 pounds occasionally.
Environmental Conditions: The work is typically Fitness Center environment with a moderate noise level.
Working condition may occasionally include work near moving parts (exercise equipment); wet, humid conditions (non-weather); and work in crowded areas. Occasional travel to the pool facility may be required where environmental conditions may include slippery surfaces.
Located on Mercer Island, the J offers a variety of programs and activities for everyone from newborns to seniors. The J is home to an Early Childhood School, a newly remodeled state-of-the-art auditorium, an upgraded Fitness Center, an indoor pool, and more.