Location and Job Title:
Project-Based Facilitator for Summer Youth Employment Program, Part-Time
Commonpoint Queens - Samuel Field Y
58-20 Little Neck Parkway
Little Neck, NY 11362
The purpose of the Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) is to provide New York City youth with summer employment & educational experiences that build on their individual strengths & incorporate youth development principles.
The goals & objectives of SYEP are:
- To provide a valuable work experience at job sites that are safe & well supervised
- Assist youth in identifying career interests via exposure to different industries & educational pathways,
- To enable youth to acquire positive work habits & develop employmentrelated skills
- To facilitate the longterm employment & selfsufficiency of youth
- To enable youth to develop a greater understanding of higher education & available career options
- Enable youth to develop financial literacy & other competencies that will prepare them for adulthood
The individual hired as the Project-Based Facilitator will be working with SYEP, located at one of the local Queens High Schools. Our program utilizes for orientation sessions & will be directly responsible for facilitating these sessions lasting between 4-8 hours. The PBL Facilitator will report to the SYEP Program Director.
- High School Diploma required; Current college enrollment or Bachelor's degree strongly preferred
- Experience with classroom management
- Strong interpersonal skills & ability to work in a professional setting
- Must be computer literate including experience with Microsoft Word & Excel
- Excellent organizational & administrative skills
- Prior knowledge of Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) strongly recommended
- Experience developing curriculum for high school aged teens
- Demonstrated experience working with youth & facilitating educational workshops for young people
- Cultivate an enriching & positive work experience for a group of SYEP participants not assigned to a traditional work experience.
- Responsible for managing, supervising groups of SYEP participants between the ages of 14-15.
- Plan & schedule community service projects for SYEP participants to engage in.
- Develop & lead professional development workshops with youth (such as program orientation, work readiness, financial literacy, teamwork & conflict resolution, time management, education & career exploration)
- Provide a safe & engaging learning environment for all SYEP participants
- Develop & maintain positive relationships with SYEP participants
- Collect, submit, & maintain all participant documents & data as necessary.
- Additional duties/projects as assigned by supervisor
Hours: Part-time. 19-25 Hours/Week
Start Date: Late June 2019
To Apply: Email cover letter & resume. Please indicate "Project Based Facilitator" in subject line of email.
Commonpoint Queens is comprised of a network of community centers throughout Queens. Our mission is to sustain & enhance the quality of family & individual life for all members of our community, regardless of religion, ethnic or cultural background, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual preference, age, or disability, within a pervasive & inclusive environment that facilitates individual growth, meets individual needs & builds community. We accomplish this mission through a broad range of social, educational, & recreational services that reach community members of all ages & backgrounds.