Location and Job Title:
Day Camp Waterfront Director
Jewish Community Center of Greater Ann Arbor
2935 Birch Hollow Drive
Ann Arbor, MI 48108
The Jewish Community Center of Greater Ann Arbor is seeking a Waterfront Director for Camp Raanana, Ann Arbor's premiere Day Camp. At Camp Raanana, we look for bright, engaging, enthusiastic, and hard-working staff who have a passion for working with kids and a love of the outdoors.
Thanks to our Cedar Lake site, Camp Raanana has all the overnight feel, with the flexibility and accessibility of a day camp! Activities range from athletics, archery, nature, art, music, swimming and so much more!
Under the supervision of the Camp Director, the Waterfront Director's primary responsibility is for the safe and organized operation of all aquatic activities at camp. The Waterfront Director develops program goals, directs, leads, and coordinates the efforts of counselors assigned to activities on the water (swim lessons, canoeing, kayaking, fishing, and free swim), and works to teach and engage children with regard to safety and comfortability in and around the water.
This is a summer position commencing on June 13, 2022 and ending August 12, 2022. The week of August 15 may be added for additional compensation.
- Serving as the authority on safety at the Waterfront, working closely with staff to ensure safety standards and procedures are understood and maintained at all times by all camp staff and campers
- Understanding camp emergency policies and procedures on Waterfront operations
- Properly instructing all campers and staff on safety standards and procedures for all Waterfront activities
- Overseeing swim testing for all staff and campers to make sure that campers participate in activities according to their swimming abilities
- Conducting swim lessons for all age groups and swimming abilities
- Experience and desire for working with youth
- Willingness to follow/give directions and work as a team member
- Strong leadership and organization skills
- Staff training will be held the week of June 13, 2022. Applicants must be able to attend staff training.
- $5200, with possibility for additional compensation. Absences unpaid.
- Current and valid lifeguard certification (preference given to waterfront certification)
- Strong background working as a lifeguard
- Leadership skills and capacity
- Experience leading and teaching swim lessons to a wide range of ages and swimming abilities
- Ideal candidate is WSI certified
- Ability to communicate with, relate to, and serve as an example to all campers
- Proven management, good communication and organizational skills, and the ability to be creative and take direction/instruction
- Ability to pass a background check
The Jewish Community Center of Greater Ann Arbor serves the whole Ann Arbor area with childcare, youth, camp, cultural, educational, and older adult programs. All are welcome at the J!