Location and Job Title:
Group Leader, Part-time
YM & YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood
54 Nagle Ave
New York, NY 10040
Do you want to be part of a thriving and nurturing organization that constantly strives to provide topnotch afterschool and youth development programs?
Join a larger community of education professionals where you can make a difference in the lives of youth while growing in your career and having fun doing meaningful work!
We are looking for Group Leaders who can work in our afterschool programs for School Year 2019-2020.
The Be Me Afterschool Program at the Y is a great place to jumpstart your career. Be Me is an inclusive program for students in kindergarten through fifth grade. Our program offers a variety of activities led by experienced specialists and well-trained group leaders to make sure children are safe, engaged, and happy.Students are exposed to values that teach them that their actions matter and have an impact in the world. By intentionally connecting our activities to values, we enable our students not only to have an awesome time, but also to learn new sets of skills and that will help them growth in a safer and more engaging environment.
As a Group Leader, you will develop your skills in academic tutoring and leading afterschool programs related to STEM, Leadership, Sports, and Arts. You will get the opportunity to build your leadership skills and youth development expertise through Professional Development training and regular staff meetings.
Exciting roles are in store for you!
- Organize, lead, and promote the students' interest and participation in the activities offered by the program
- Foster an atmosphere of fun and learning, and serve as a role model to students, always professionally conducting yourself and maintaining appropriate boundaries
- Establish and enforce rules for behavior, and procedures for maintaining order among the students
- Provide academic support, homework guidance, assistance, and supervision to students
- Promote positive character development
- Maintain effective classroom management that encourages full participation and student growth
- Supervise groups of students while maintaining their physical and emotional safety and health
- Closely coordinate with Program Director and coworkers for any programmatic changes or any other issues or concerns
- Participate in staff meetings, program evaluations, program improvement, and professional development sessions throughout the school year.
- Provide other program support as needed.
This job might be for you if:
- You are available to work Monday-Friday, 2 pm - 6 pm (15-20 hours per week). You are flexible and willing to accommodate possible changes in your work hours.
- You have strong academic skills and knowledge of New York state standards and test preparation.
- You have a genuine interest in working with culturally diverse K-5th Grade students, and able to promote positive character development.
- You have a sincere desire to effect positive social and academic change in the lives of NYC youth.
- You are well-organized, reliable and punctual.
- You have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- You can work independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
- You are comfortable to learn and model universal Jewish values while working in and with a large, diverse population.
To land this job, you need to:
- Possess a high school diploma and must be at least 18 years old
- Have experience working with youth in a classroom, afterschool, or community-based environment
- Pass the background check, medical tests and fingerprinting through the Department of Health
- You have a College Degree
- Bachelor's or Associate Degree in progress
- You have experience as a Group Leader using a positive youth development model
Working part-time at the Y is rewarding and fulfilling too!
- Salary: $16/hour
- Discounted rate on select Y programs
- You get access and referrals to work at other Y programs all year-round.
- Opportunity to work with and learn from professionals who are passionate about youth development!
Established in 1917 as one of the first Jewish community centers in New York City, the YM & YWHA of Washington Heights and Inwood (the Y) today is a thriving and visionary not-for-profit human services organization in Northern Manhattan.We offer a wide range of educational, recreational and social services programs to enhance the quality of life of the people we serve. From topnotch early childhood education and youth development programs to innovative senior center services, there's always something for everyone at the Y!