Location and Job Title:
Director of Teen Services
Kingsbay YM-YWHA INC.
3495 Nostrand Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11229
Main Objective: To create a successful and valuable program at the Kings Bay YM-YWHA for high school and middle school teens/tweens to engage in social, leadership, educational, and recreational programming
Responsible for program development and implementation, marketing, administration and supervision of Teen Services at the Kings Bay YM-YWHA. Responsible for planning activities, programs, and special events, as well as our teen camp in the summer. Includes weekday, evening, and occasional weekend hours as a regular schedule. Must relate well to high school and middle school-aged teens, exercise sound judgment, be a self-starter, be highly organized, be personable, and be able to relate to parents, teens, and possess recreational, and camp skills.
- Create and actively promote a comfortable and welcoming environment where every member/participant is treated with dignity and respect, in a friendly, personalized manner.
- Anticipate and be responsive to member/participant needs and requests
- Develop and implement a full array of enriching teen programs consistent with the Kings Bay Y's mission and goals Consistently strategize, design and implement outreach efforts to bring in teens to our programs
- Oversee logistics for teen events Coordinate the participation of teens in center wide festivals, holiday celebrations, and events
- Coordinate the agency's involvement in community events for teenagers
- Advocate for the Kings Bay Y's teen programs within the Jewish community Ensure effective administrative systems are in place to support departmental programs, including mechanisms for tracking participation
- Work with other departments to ensure proper coordination and overall success of the Kings Bay Y and participate in agency-wide activities and programs Other related duties as required or directed
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- Previous experience working with Jewish youth, preferably in a JCC setting Previous experience in program development
- Strong leadership and facilitation skills Ability to transmit Jewish culture and ideas to youth from diverse Jewish backgrounds
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with a broad spectrum of staff, volunteers, and program participants
- Ability to work with other community teen leaders to collaborate on programs Competency with current social networking technologies
- A strong knowledge of what is current and popular in teen culture Possession of strong Interpersonal skills and a sense of humor
- Knowledge of Brooklyn Jewish community a plus Strong background in Jewish programming or Jewish education a plus
Inspired by Jewish values and ideas, the Kings Bay YM-YWHA strives to build and strengthen communities, create meaningful relationships and lasting friendships, and foster deeper connections among individuals, families, and partner institutions in Brooklyn.
From our flagship base in southern Brooklyn, where we operate a successful full-service Jewish community center, to our more recent inroads in Brownstone Brooklyn and North Brooklyn under the JCC Brooklyn umbrella, the Kings Bay Y has remained true to its 60-year-old mission.