Location and Job Title:
Day Camp Transportation Coordinator
760 Northfield Ave
West Orange, NJ 07052
Camp Deeny Riback (CDR), an offsite day camp run by the JCC MetroWest serving families from Essex and Morris counties in New Jersey, is seeking a seasonal Transportation Coordinator to work from April through August. CDR provides opportunities for campers, families, and staff to connect and grow through summer experiences that are created through a Jewish lens allowing connection to Jewish values, traditions, and a love for the State of Israel.
The Transportation Coordinator position is for a very detailed orientated person as he/she is responsible for the safe and timely transportation of all campers to and from our campgrounds in Flanders, NJ, daily. The Transportation Coordinator plays a vital role in the success of camp as our busses are a daily connection to our families. This position requires work before the start of the official camp season as well as a regular presence at camp.
SCHEDULE: Monday to Friday, 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
JOB TYPE: Seasonal (April 2022 - August 2022)
SPECIFIC DUTIES INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
Pre-season April - June: Planning and Logistics
- Assigns all campers to routes before the start of the season
- Drive all routes to ensure they work
- Creates turn-by-turn route sheets for each route for bus counselors and bus company in advance of bus counselor orientation
- With the assistance of the director, organize and facilitate Bus Counselor training, reviewing policies and procedures with staff
- Organize and carry out dry runs by bus drivers and bus counselors before 1st day of camp. (Typically, two weeks before the first day of camp, on a Sunday)
- Attends all pre-camp meetings and orientations.
- Coordinate and run bus counselor training during staff training
- Oversees supply orders and creation of supply boxes and information binders for each bus
- Create before care and aftercare lists
- Together with Nurse communicates allergy and medical information to bus counselors
- Arranges parking for buses at Mount Olive High School during the day
- Together with the Leadership team, arrange buses for day and overnight trips.
June - August: In-Season Responsibilities
- Primary contact with Transportation Providers.
- Receive daily absence information from parents and communicates this info to the bus counselors daily
- Record campers absents in Campminder system
- Receive daily check-in and check-out calls with bus counselors when they have boarded the bus and when the last camper has been dropped off
- Communicate daily changes to Camp Leadership and bus counselors using Campminder System
- Communicate Bus Counselor changes to Transportation Providers
- Update routes weekly to account for new camper changes
- Supervise assigned staff (other than bus counselors) during bus arrival and departure ensuring the safe arrival and departure of vehicles and notes are communicated and adhered to
- Responsible for carrying out bus safety drills, one per session
- Responsible for finding substitute bus counselors as needed
- Handle all transportation-related parent concerns
- Work cooperatively with Camp Director and Unit Leaders to assist with trip preparations
- Lead daily bus counselor meetings and communicate all changes and updates.
- Maintain a good working relationship with bus drivers, camp bus counselors, other camp staff, and Transportation Company.
- Communicate any changes, delays or updates of arrival, departure or bus changes to transportation provider, parents and camp leadership
- Meets with Camp Director to evaluate the season and give suggestions for next season.
- Other appropriate tasks, as needed by the camp director.
- Ability to work daily beginning at 7am in the camp office
- Assist with office daily office tasks such as making copies, printing reports, cutting, printing labels, and selling items from the camp store as needed
- Assist with answering phone calls, taking messages and informing the leadership team of any parent calls
- Assist with end of season clean up and shutdown.
- Skilled in use of computer programs and the ability to learn new programs as needed to run camp
- Assist in other office-related tasks as needed
General Tasks of All CDR Staff
- Participate in staff meetings and training seminars, as assigned
- Participate in agency-wide programs and program committees, as assigned
- Support the mission of CDR and JCC MetroWest
- Related experience (1 year) preferred
- Excellent interpersonal (relationship development) and communication skills
- Experience with planning and logistics
- Must demonstrate the aptitude and willingness to be a visible and active team player
- Good critical and creative thinking skills
- Strong organizational and computer skills including Microsoft Suite
- Mature disposition, creativity, outgoing and energetic personality
- Highly organized, attentive to detail and ability to work independently, a self-starter
- Sense of humor and serious interest in having fun
- All employees of JCC MetroWest are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
All applicants for employment shall be considered without regard to race, religion, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to Todd Seideman at email@example.com
Welcome to Your JCC!
JCC MetroWest has been at the center of our community for 142 years, bringing people together while providing educational, social, cultural and fitness programs.
Our main facility, the Leon & Toby Cooperman JCC, located in West Orange, NJ, and our 20-acre day-camp, Camp Deeny Riback, located in Flanders, NJ serve the Jewish communities west of NYC, including Essex, Morris, and Union counties.