Location and Job Title:
Youth+Recreation Programs Director
Stroum Jewish Community Center
3801 East Mercer Way
Mercer Island, WA 98040
The Youth+Recreation Programs Director is responsible for the oversight and implementation of Youth and Recreation Programs, which includes (but is not limited to) summer and year-round day camp, Kidstown/Kids City (before- and after-school program), Enrichment Classes (preschool-5th grade), and new initiatives to engage pre-K through 8th-grade kids and their families.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the business (budget, enrollment, offer, staffing, metrics, evaluation, etc.) of before/after school care programs, enrichment classes, recreational offerings, camp, and new initiatives
- Direct summer and school break camps
- Set and work toward 3-5 year vision/strategic growth plan for Youth and Recreation Programs with a specific plan for J Camp.
- Work with J Camp+Youth Programs Manager to develop and implement meaningful year-round camp connections (e.g., reunions, family camp, school break days/camps, etc.)
- Ensure meaningful, authentic Jewish content and experiences in SJCC youth programming
- Work with Youth+Recreation team and other SJCC departments (Aquatics, for example) to streamline, improve, or expand current offering and to identify and implement new initiatives for target age group - J Explorers, Family Camp, kids clubs, family swim, etc.
- Collaborate with Early Childhood School to ensure continuity of experience, care, content, and quality throughout the programs
- Collaborate with SJCC's marketing team to formulate and determine delivery strategy for a viable, intentional promotion/marketing/outreach campaign for Youth and Recreation Programs
- Work with SJCC's Development team to engage camp/youth families as donors to fuel growth
- Work as part of the SJCC's management team to move the entire organization toward its mission and vision with a commitment to our core values
- Perform work on weekends and evenings as needed to meet applicable deadlines
- Other duties as assigned
This position supervises Youth and Recreation staff, including (but not limited to) the J Camp+Youth Programs Manager, and all Youth and Recreation staff (instructors, trainers, counselors, coaches/umpires/referees, etc.) Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from a four-year college or university; at least five years of related experience (and/or training) working as an Assistant Director or higher in a resident or day camp program; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Previous experience and/or current skills must include outstanding communication skills; exceptional organization skills; ability to inspire others in camp and program environments; excellent customer service skills; demonstrated ability to work effectively, both independently and as part of a team; ability to manage ambiguity; ability to sequence objectives among competing priorities.
Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively to a wide variety of audiences across all media and platforms, using clear and concise language to inspire, inform, educate, appreciate, etc.
Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook is required.
Certificates and Licenses:
No specific certificates or licenses required.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent, and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to the carrying out of instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The information described below represents the physical activities and surroundings one may encounter when performing the duties of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
55,000 - 65,000
Stroum Jewish Community Center Vision
The Stroum Jewish Community Center will inspire connections that build community and ensure Jewish continuity.
Stroum Jewish Community Center Mission
Together we create outstanding programs, partnerships and spaces that welcome everyone to learn, grow and celebrate Jewish life and culture.
Stroum Jewish Community Center Values
K'lal Yisrael - Jewish Peoplehood
Hachnasat Orchim - Welcoming Everyone
Limud - Learning
Simcha - Joy
Derech Eretz - Respect and Common Courtesy
Shmirat haNefesh v'haGuf - Taking Care of Oneself, Body and Soul
Kehillah shel Chaverim - A Community of Friends
The Stroum Jewish Community Center has been serving the greater Seattle Jewish and general community since 1949. With our 92,000 square foot main campus located on Mercer Island, the SJCC offers a wide range of programs and services throughout the greater Seattle area, serving infants to older adults, including a highly acclaimed Early Childhood School with nearly 200 children , summer day camp welcoming over 1100 kids, youth and family programs, recreational leagues, aquatics and much more. The SJCC is a warm and welcoming community center open to everyone, and a place where lifelong friendships are forged.