Location and Job Title:
Chief People Officer
Shalom Austin Dell Jewish Community Center
7300 Hart Ln
Austin, TX 78731
Shalom Austin is the hub of Jewish life in Central Texas. We are a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization comprised of the Jewish Community Center (JCC), Jewish Federation, Jewish Family Service (JFS), and the Jewish Foundation. The majority of our programming operates on 40 beautiful acres on the Dell Jewish Community Campus in the live music capital of the world "weird" Austin, Texas. We are a passionate group of more than 100 staff working on our mission of enhancing the quality of Jewish life in the greater Austin area and around the world through philanthropy, education, social service, culture, spirituality and total wellness.
Overview of What You Will Do:
As Shalom Austin continues to expand and enhance the engagement experience offered to the Jewish community in Austin, the Chief People Officer (CPO) Officer is responsible for enhancing the overall engagement experience of Shalom Austin employees. The CPO will drive key Human Resources (HR) best practices and initiatives and provide strategic direction and expertise for the full scope of the HR function. Reporting to the CEO, the CPO will develop and execute the HR strategy for the organization and partner with the Senior Executive Team (SET) to execute on the vision. The CPO will serve as a thought partner to the CEO and SET, provide HR advisory services with regards to leadership, coaching, employee relations, talent acquisition, engagement, culture, compensation, organizational design and change, performance management, and learning and development. The incumbent will also oversee the HR team and be responsible for managing, assessing, mentoring, and supporting team members to ensure daily HR operations are handled timely and appropriately.
Areas of Focus:
- Develop and implement a human resources plan that aligns with the overall mission and strategy of the organization, resulting in innovative, best practices and policies that will service the full range of Shalom Austin's HR needs and help build a high-performing culture of success, accountability, transparency, and collaboration.
- Gain an understanding of the organization and participate fully in all strategic deliberations. Act as a strategic partner to all members of the Senior Executive Team (SET), especially the CEO, and provide insightful, innovative thinking and problem solving on critical HR issues.
- Optimize the HR function/team, modernize and refine key processes and activities aligned toward achieving strategic goals.
- Provide HR guidance on special projects, HR analytics & reporting, talent reviews, training, change management, organizational design, diversity, and inclusion.
- Proactively manage resource allocation and maintain a competitive approach to recruiting and assimilating high-potential talent. Advise on people programs and processes to enhance talent attraction, retention, development, and succession. Partner with Finance in overseeing departmental budget and headcount.
- Develop comprehensive approaches to employee development, retention, and onboarding by refining or creating compensation and benefits, career paths and employee development, succession planning, and learning opportunities as appropriate to the needs of Shalom Austin.
- Oversee compensation practices and philosophy to ensure salary benchmarking and surveys are handled on a regular basis.
- Guide the HR team in supporting Performance Management, Talent Acquisition, Learning & Development, Engagement, Benefits, Rewards, Policy, and Compliance.
- Partner with IT on HRIS and related systems, protocols, capabilities, and upgrades.
- Interact with vendors and external partners to create and maintain relationships and negotiate contracts.
- Partner with Legal to ensure compliance & mitigate organizational risks.
Culture and Development
- Develop relationships with the employees of Shalom Austin and become someone who is sought for advice and counsel on HR, cultural, and organizational issues. Facilitate integration of diverse work groups, cultures, and newly acquired assets.
- Coach and counsel SET in developing themselves and their teams to achieve improved performance and engagement
- Counsel, coach and guide managers and staff in addressing concerns and complaints to assure fair and equitable treatment while ensuring compliance with local labor regulations and practices.
- Coach and mentor fellow colleagues/managers and develop leadership bench strength capable of addressing the challenges of a highly dynamic organization.
- Mediate employee relations and performance issues and provide counsel to fellow managers on appropriate methods of performance management
- Role model Shalom Austins core values and demonstrate leadership consistently with all members of the Shalom Austin community.
To apply for this position please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bachelor's degree required. Advanced degree or MBA preferred. Certifications in HR are helpful (SPHR, GPHR). 15+ years of relevant business experience ideal.
- At least 7 years of progressive HRBP leadership experience, with 2-3 years managing an HR function.
- At least 3 years experience managing people and teams of various sizes
- Not-for-profit experience beneficial.
- Solid knowledge of all facets of HR with specialized expertise in at least 2 areas. Broad and deep experience as an HR Business Partner supporting executives or senior leadership.
- General business and financial acumen with the ability to develop and utilize HR data and metrics as they relate to and impact business topics in Finance, Legal, IT, payroll, and administration.
- Excellent communications skills - written, verbal and interpersonal - and an ability to tailor communication style to diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated capability in adapting and innovating HR practices and solutions and right sizing them to the needs of the organization.
- Results-oriented, agile, change agent with the commitment and confidence to assume a leadership role in an evolving complex, high-growth environment.
- Drive initiatives with limited resources and roll-up your sleeves attitude to achieve desired results.
- Unquestionable personal integrity, fairness, and credibility necessary to gain the trust and commitment of people at all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated success at cultivating solid relationships with internal and external stakeholders and creating partnerships at all levels within the organization to achieve results.
- Empathetic and engaging person, who listens well, is responsive, solutions focused and results oriented.
- Passionate about the mission of Shalom Austin, enthused by the challenges confronting the organization, and dedicated to achieving its goal.
$120,000 - $135,000
The Shalom Austin Jewish Community Center (JCC) is one of the four branches of Shalom Austin. The JCC is your place to connect with the community, build friendships, improve physical fitness and overall wellness, and attend programs with family and friends.
The "J" is open to all. It welcomes and respects people of all ages, fitness levels, interests and religions. Located on the lush 40-acres of the Dell Jewish Community Campus, JCC members enjoy full access to the Sports & Fitness Complex, including the fitness center, free-weights room, full court gymnasium, aquatics center, tennis center and nature trail. Membership includes a variety of free in-person and online group fitness classes, access to youth and family programming, Early Childhood Program preschool, and after school activities.
Members may also take advantage of early registration and discounts on programs and events such as summer camp (JCamps), enrichment classes, adult programming and more. The Jewish Community Center serves as the main programming division of the Jewish Community Association of Austin. The key programming areas under the JCC umbrella include Early Childhood, Sports & Fitness, Youth & Teen Services, and Jewish cultural and educational programs.
JCC members enjoy full access to our outstanding Sports & Fitness facilities and also receive discounts on JCC programming such as JCC Camps, enrichment classes, special cultural events, and more. The JCC is a beneficiary of the Jewish Federation of Greater Austin Annual Campaign.