Location and Job Title:
3960 Montclair Rd
Birmingham, AL 35213
General Position Summary:
The LJCC is on the lookout for talented Camp Staff who are looking to develop career-building skills such as leadership, communicated, problem solving and relationship management abilities. If you are looking for a way to create exciting experiences and heart-warming memories that last a lifetime, gain valuable career-building skills and be able to spend your time with new faces, the LJCC is the place for you!
The Counselor will follow the schedule provided, plan activities when necessary for the campers, and assist the camper in enforcing the CDC guidelines. This counselor is also responsible for camper's safety and well-being at all times. They must stay with their immediate group at all times during work hours. Work is supervised on a limited basis as necessary and reports to the Camp Director. Work schedule varies from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm and or 9:00 am to 5:30 pm based on assigned schedule.
This job coincides with multiple surrounding school districts in our area on their days of no attendance. There are flexible amounts of dates available. Which include but not limited to most holiday breaks and days that the child does not attend school.
- Move around with children at their pace and be actively involved with children rather than just watching them.
- Supervise children, keeping them in sight and sound at all times.
- Know the difference between appropriate and inappropriate behavior. Prevent, circumvent, and deal with problem behaviors appropriately and effectively.
- Maintain a sense of calm and perspective with physical and mental alertness during stressful times.
- Perform frequent head counts of children, particularly when en route from one activity to the next.
- Keep Camp Director informed and included on all youth related matters.
- Assists in arrival and dismissal of children.
- Assists children in all ways possible ensuring good hygiene, health, safety practices especially in the event of an emergency.
- Consistently demonstrate and reinforce the values of caring, respect, honesty and responsibility.
- Must be organized and have ability to multitask.
- Ability to participate in all activities adhering to policies and procedures to ensure the safety of children and staff.
- Resolves conflicts fairly and effectively according to agency's policies.
- Assists all campers to integrate effectively.
- Maintain positive relationships at all times with campers, families, guests, co-workers, and Camp Director.
- Display creativity and innovation in performing job duties.
- Must bring appropriate attire for outdoor activities for when children are participating in sports and/or trail hikes.
- Must attend any and all training that is required before being able to work a shift.
- Must work the days and hours to perform all assigned responsibilities and tasks, and be punctual and timely in meeting all performance requirements, including but not limited to, attendance standards and work deadlines.
- Perform additional duties as agreed upon by supervisor and in accordance with the program needs.
- Embrace all Core Values and all inherent missions, goals, directives and tasks of the LJCC.
- CPR/AED Certification - We can train.
- 19 years or older
- At least one year of college experience or previous youth, classroom, educational, or camp experience
- Must abide to a background check along with DHR fingerprinting process
- Ability to speak fluent English, understand it as well as read and write
- Follow all CDC guidelines and ensure campers safety
Special Requirements and Physical Demands:
- Tasks involve the ability to exert moderate physical effort, which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling objects and materials of moderate weight, bending, stooping, stretching, squatting, reaching above head, sitting and hiking.
- Must have visual and auditory ability to keep track of multiple children and to identify and respond to environment and other hazards related to activities.
- Clearly and effectively communicate in a manner that children understand.
- Frequent exposure to outside elements, such as sun exposure, heat, humidity, cold and rain.
- Position required occasional internal interaction with employees, parents, supervisors, officers, board members, other agency personnel and community members.
- Responsible for maintaining positive courteous and professional relationships with families and children enrolled in the program, all LJCC staff, and other related agencies and the greater community.
- This is a community center and must be treated that way with a respectful mind set of others and shared spaces happening in and around the LJCC at all times.
Contacts are made with others both inside and outside of the LJCC.Fulfill the needs of our members and guests by providing services on-site through the use of both phone and face-to-face interactions.Must be able to handle confidential/sensitive information of our members and guests with the utmost discretion.
Levite Jewish Community Center
3960 Montclair Road
Birmingham, AL. 35213