Location and Job Title:
Jewish Community Center of the East Bay
1414 Walnut St
Berkeley, CA 94709
The Camp Director has the overall responsibility for the development, planning, implementation, and evaluation of all vacation and summer camp programs. The Camp Director will play an integral role in creating a new vision for our camp programs, being an agent for change and positive growth. The Camp Director must be a self-starter, capable of working independently and also as part of a team of professionals. The Camp Director must be capable of "switching gears" - being approachable and fun when working with parents, while also being organized and professional when in the office.
- Creating a dynamic vision for a cohesive day camp program centered around the JCC facility, including traditional and specialty camp offerings.
- Grow total camper enrollment and departmental revenue through enhanced marketing, outreach, relationship-building, programming, and recruitment.
- Supervising camp leadership staff and administrative staff.
- Hire, recruit, interview and evaluate camp staff.
- Plan and execute staff orientation and ongoing training, scheduling staff and leading staff meetings
- Plan all programmatic aspects of camp, such as field trips, special days, activity areas and Shabbat.
- Being responsible for all aspects of camper safety.
- Act as the primary liaison with parents.
- Maintain rooms and spaces inside and outside the building utilized by camp and coordinating facility usage with building services staff.
- Ensuring that camp operations are in line with American Camp Association standards.
- Building relationships with parents, schools, and community leaders.
- Lead the JCC's year-round Vacation Camp program, which operates on days when area schools are closed. This includes staffing, scheduling of activities, registration, supplies and snacks and anything else pertinent to a successful program
- Planning and assisting with special camp events throughout the year, agency-wide events, and community-wide programs.
- Attending and participating in monthly staff meetings and weekly supervisory meetings.
- Working with the marketing department regarding publicity, public relations and marketing plans for camp programs.
- Model appropriate behavior to staff and campers.
- Provide behavior management techniques and intervention for campers where necessary
- Create a culture of trust and feedback.
- Other duties as assigned
The JCC East Bay creates healthy communities inspired by Jewish values, culture, and tradition. We provide programs and gathering spaces throughout the East Bay to advance, nurture, and evolve Jewish communal life and contribute to the vitality of the broader community. Through intergenerational activities in Oakland, Berkeley, and beyond, we connect people with each other, foster learning and inspiration, provide opportunities for civic engagement, and explore contemporary Jewish life. The Center's core programs include provocative cultural events featuring emerging and established artists and thinkers; award-winning early childhood education and parenting support; lifelong learning and older adult services; youth activities including four afterschool programs and summer camp; as well as inclusive Jewish holiday celebrations for all ages. The JCC proudly serves and reflects the diverse residents of the East Bay. The JCC is located in the Bay Area, home to the fourth largest Jewish community in the United States. The East Bay includes more than 30% of that community and migration patterns show this population increasing. The JCC East Bay's expansion will meet the growing needs of this dynamic community.