Location and Job Title:
Director of Youth and Camping
New Orleans JCC
5342 St. Charles Ave
New Orleans, LA 70115
supervision of the Associate Director, the Director of Youth and Camping is a
full-time position responsible for providing strategic leadership for the youth
and camping department. Essential functions include: a) Recruiting staff and
campers, developing curriculum, and overseeing administrative functions
associated with summer camp, mini camps and "schools days out" programs, and
child care; b) Supervising and working closely with Children's Director to
develop year-round programs and events for school-age children and their
families; c) Working collaboratively with Youth staff, Early Childhood
department and other JCC departments.
The ideal candidate must have the following attributes and or qualifications:
- Strong background in Jewish camping
- Proven track record as exceptional leader-empathetic, decisive, flexible and willingness to walk-the-talk- with the ability to create a fun, safe camp culture and motivate team.
- Passion, energy and personality conducive to building strong relationships and generating a positive camp experience for campers and staff alike
- Entrepreneurial drive that encourages growth and innovation
- Professionalism and personal accountability such that programs are overseen as if it is one's own business
1. Develop, implement and supervise all operational issues regarding day camp for 300 + campers ages 3 to grade 8. This includes planning daily schedules, special events, and theme days. After COVID, overnights and field trips will be put back into schedule.
2. Plan activities and train staff with COVID safety as top priority.
3. Recruit, hire, supervise, train and evaluate 70+ part time counselors, head teachers and specialists for day camp.
4. Effectively communicate with JCC staff, parents and vendors during camp registration period as well as throughout the year.
5. Work collaboratively with marketing department and JCC counterparts at the Uptown J to develop publication materials for Youth department.
6. Create new and innovative camp and children's programs and events. Plan and staff after school programs working closely with the Children's Director.
7. Develop and monitor the camp and children's budget
- Undergraduate Degree in recreation, education or related field. Master's degree preferred.
- 3+ years experience working with children
- Strong camping and Jewish programming background
- Experience successfully leading large teams and supervising staff and campers
- Ability to effectively communicate - verbally and in writing- with children, parents, co-workers and staff.
- Experience with CampMinder is a plus
- Must be able to stand for prolonged periods of time to move throughout the JCC campus to perform normal duties
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs
- Able to ascend and descend stairs
- Part-time candidates will be
considered for the Day Camp Director job only
The Goldring-Woldenberg JCC-Metairie is located in the suburbs of New Orleans. Facilities include a fitness center, swimming pool, gymnasium, walking track and children's programming and teen activities. It is on a shared campus with the Jewish Federation, and the Jewish Community Day School.
Additional information can be found on our website at www.nojcc.org.