Location and Job Title:
Camp Group Leader
Jewish Community Center of Schenectady
2565 Balltown Rd.
Niskayuna, NY 12309
This individual, supervised by a Unit Head, manages the operations of a particular camp group of Camp Chaverim; and oversees the health, safety, and well-being of the campers in assigned group.
- Attend pre-camp orientation
- Attend Parent Orientation the evening before the 1st day of camp
CAMP RESPONSIBILITIESHealth and Safety
- Maintaining appropriate staff to camper ratios at all times, including not leaving a counselor assistant alone to supervise whole group.
- Actively supervising at all times- especially on playground and at the pool.
- Guide children and document significant behavioral events on a daily report form.
- Ensuring accurate attendance records are maintained and campers are accounted for throughout the camp day.
- Perform daily health check of campers each morning.
- Report all injuries regardless of severity to Camp Health Director.
- Form positive relationships with campers, co-workers, and parents.
- Prepared for the pool with appropriate swim attire and actively in the water with campers.
- Assist Specialists and children during specialist activity periods, swim lessons, TAG time and Special Events.
- Maintain supplies and cleanliness of areas used on and off campus.
- Work Late nights and Overnights as they pertain to your Unit.
- Working together with Group Leaders, Group Counselors and camp supervisory team in a positive manner for the betterment of camp.
- Responsible to report to Unit Head daily on group happenings.
- Lead communicator to camp group families.
- Creates routines and structure for camp group.
- Plans, implements, and coordinates programming during Group Times.
- Responsible for submitting weekly newsletters and Group of the Week nominations.
- Attend all weekly staff meetings.
- Responsible for group binder and walkie talkie.
- Perform all other duties as assigned or delegated by the Camp Director, Assistant Camp Director, or JCC Campus Director.
- 18 years of age or older
- 1 year experience working with Children
- Ability to lead group staff and children
- Ability to communicate effectively with children and families
- A positive, upbeat spirit "can do" attitude and a great sense of fun!
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. This job description is to be used as a guideline to describe the current functions and requirements of the position. The job description may change at any time based on business needs and/or job reorganization.
We are an equal opportunity employer. As such, employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications and abilities.
Our mission is to build a vibrant, welcoming, and inclusive community that embraces our Jewish values, culture, identity and connections to Israel, engages the local community, and enhances the body, mind and spirit of our members.
Who We Are
The JCC is a thriving non-profit community center that welcomes the diverse populations of Schenectady, Albany and Saratoga Counties. Since 1921 the JCC's role has changed and expanded to reflect the times. Our staff is committed to providing members and guests with high quality programs and customer service. Included in a membership is the use of the fitness center, over 75 group and water fitness classes each week, lap and family swims, open gym use, adult swim lessons, family art and gym activities, a relaxation center complete with whirlpool, sauna and steam room, and discounts on fitness, social, and enrichment classes and programs.