Location and Job Title:
Jewish Community Center of the East Bay
1414 Walnut St
Berkeley, CA 94709
Please apply externally at https://jcceastbay.org/about/general/job-opportuni...
The Controller will report to the Chief Financial Officer with whom they will work to manage all aspects of the JCC's financial functions. This position requires attention to detail as well as excellent customer service and communication skills. The Controller supports and works with our staff, customers, vendors, and community.
- Maintain general ledger, including account analysis, subsidiary schedules preparation with supporting documentation, and preparation of monthly and year-end journal entries.
- Oversee and manage accounts payable, accounts receivable, and bank deposits.
- Complete timely monthly and annual financial statements in accordance with GAAP.
- Prepare monthly reports for department heads.
- Oversee the setup, back up, and secure operation of QuickBooks and Paycom.
- Review all banking and investment transactions and monthly reconciliations of all bank and securities accounts.
- Review all deposits, monitor cash balances, and manage cash flow.
- Process and track contributions and grants in collaboration with the Development Department; reconcile donation system records.
- Evaluate existing accounting processes; recommend improvements to methods, procedures, and systems; and implement approved changes.
- Train, supervise, evaluate and develop the staff accounting assistant.
- Maintain and update as appropriate accounting procedures specific to the bookkeeping of the organization. The resource should be used as a training and development tool for the staff accounting assistant.
Audit, Taxes, Insurance
- Act as point person for annual audit, 990 tax return, and Worker's Compensation audit including collaboration with auditors and preparation of all necessary schedules.
- Responsible for filing all tax returns and maintaining local business licenses.
- Maintain insurance documents and files on the server.
- Serve as primary administrator for payroll and benefits administration system including user set up, overall system management, main point of contact with vendors, and training of all staff.
- Prepare and distribute all payroll and annual documents (W2s, 1099s, and 1095s).
- Provide information regarding benefit accruals and other paycheck related matters; assist in researching and communicating to resolve payroll-related issues.
- File periodic governmental reports, including payroll taxes, and other liabilities related to payroll benefits.
- In partnership with the CFO, manage the enrollment, and implementation of all benefit and employee leave/disability programs.
- In partnership with the CFO, initiate benefits enrollment process and ensure all paperwork is transmitted to the appropriate vendor in a timely manner.
- Resolve employee benefits issues and problems.
- Responsible for administration of COBRA.
- In partnership with the Director of Operations, create and maintain HR Personnel files and records; set up new hire files, medical files, I-9 files, and terminated employee files; audit for completion of forms, follow-up with staff on missing information.
- Primary contact for EDD and other legal service issues impacting payroll and benefits including unemployment claims and wage garnishments.
- Monitor compliance with all federal, state, and local employment laws and advise management accordingly.
- Assist CFO with development of annual budget and periodic forecasts.
- Step in for the CFO when the CFO is unavailable.
- Work actively and collaboratively with program staff and other stakeholders. Ability to perform at a high level in a fast-paced team environment, and manage multiple projects to meet timelines and deadlines.
- Goal-orientated and close attention to detail.
- Ability to work an occasional evening or weekend event.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned like performing ad hoc analysis and reporting as needed.
- Minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible accounting experience.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance.
- Prior supervisory experience.
- Experience working in a nonprofit and/or educational institution preferred.
- Strong organizational, oral, and written communication skills.
- Strong computer aptitude, including Microsoft suite, with expertise in Microsoft Excel and QuickBooks. Paycom and Salesforce experience a plus.
- Strong analytical skills with particular attention to detail and accuracy.
- Versatility, flexibility, and an ability to shift and manage priorities under increasingly complex regulatory requirements.
- Demonstrated excellent customer service skills.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities and projects.
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs.
$85,000 - $95,000
The JCC East Bay is a welcoming home for people of all ages and life stages. Our mission is to create healthy communities inspired by Jewish values, culture, and tradition. We build interpersonal relationships, foster learning and inspiration, and explore Jewish life. The JCC's core programs include intergenerational Jewish holiday celebrations; early childhood education and preschool; camp and afterschool programs; and provocative cultural arts and civic engagement events. The JCC serves and reflects the diverse residents of the East Bay, offering physical gathering spaces for the Jewish and broader community.