Location and Job Title:
Director of Volunteer Services
5625 Arlington Ave
Bronx, NY 10471
The Director of Volunteer Services organizes and implements a complete volunteer engagement strategy, including planning, recruitment, training and coordination. The position serves as the primary contact for volunteers and staff who will be directly supervising them. The Director will work to enable the organization's growing volunteer strategy and incorporating volunteer participation and engagement as a strategic function to accomplish our mission. Through the Y's social responsibility efforts, the Director will also elevate the Y's profile in the community as a convener of public good and help identify and steward volunteers toward potential board service and philanthropy.
Responsibilities include leading the volunteer strategy planning efforts, working with existing volunteer programs and managers throughout the organization, identifying opportunities throughout the organization to strategically engage volunteers, spearheading volunteer recruitment, and tracking and promoting volunteer impact internally and externally.
- Develop, implement, and advocate for an organization-wide strategy for volunteer engagement.
- Develop a strategy and infrastructure for mission-driven volunteer engagement.
- Develop and implement goals and objectives for the volunteer program.
- Conduct ongoing evaluation of the volunteer engagement strategy and programs/services, and recommend and implement improvements as identified and/or necessary.
- Organize and manage existing and potential grant-based volunteer programs, such as UJA-sponsored MLK Day of Service.
- Advocate for volunteer engagement within the organization and in the community at large, including partnering with local Jewish and interfaith institutions.
- Work to engage volunteers of diverse backgrounds and affiliations.
- Create policies and procedures to guide the volunteer program.
- Develop and manage a budget for volunteer activities and mentoring program expenditure and resources.
- Identify and implement strategic opportunities to engage volunteers to build our organizational capacity.
- Assess and identify opportunities to strategically engage volunteers to enhance program delivery and organizational operations.
- Identify volunteer assignments that provide meaningful and productive opportunities.
- In collaboration with departmental staff, generate volunteer position descriptions with primary responsibilities.
- Develop, enhance, and lead training of staff and volunteers to ensure success.
- Develop and lead effective volunteer recruitment and placement processes.
- Develop and implement effective strategies to recruit and retain qualified volunteers with the appropriate abilities and aptitudes.
- Conduct outreach and volunteer recruitment to sustain and grow volunteer participation.
- Coordinate application and interview protocols to match and place volunteers in appropriate positions, clarify their roles, provide orientation to their roles and the organization training and support them throughout their service tenure.
- Elevate the Y's standing in the community by promoting the Y's role as a convener of the public good.
- Identify and steward volunteers, as appropriate, toward additional roles, such as committee and board service.
- Bridge volunteers, where appropriate, toward philanthropic giving to the Y.
- Ensure volunteers are supported and held accountable for success in conjunction with existing standard program protocols.
- Establish a standardized evaluation program for individual volunteer performance review.
- Be a resource to staff who engage volunteers in areas of volunteer support and accountability.
- Measure and communicate volunteer impact and recognize volunteers for that impact.
- Identify and then implement a tracking system for volunteer involvement and impact (including, but not limited to hours contributed)
- Regularly report on the contributions made through volunteer engagement.
- Expand the volunteer recognition program and coordinate annual volunteer recognition event.
- Warm and welcoming personality
- Calm under pressure, customer service oriented, flexible, and possessing a good sense of humor
- Strong interpersonal skills, excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Highly organized with attention to detail and follow-through
- Self-starter with entrepreneurial approach
- Familiarity with Jewish holidays, traditions and culture or interest to learn
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of the Riverdale Y team
- Excellent computer skills and experience using social media to market our program and communicate with the community
- Experience hiring and supervising staff and volunteers
- Prior work experience with seniors and human services organization a plus.
This is a full-time position. Will be required to work some nights and/or weekends.
About the Riverdale YM-YWHA:
The Riverdale Y is a 100,000 sq. ft. Jewish Community Center that provides educational, recreational, cultural, and wellness programming for children and adults of all ages. The Y features an early childhood center, camps and after school programs, senior center, performing arts center, and health & wellness center that includes cardio and free weight studios, group exercise classes, gymnasium, swimming pool, steam room, sauna and massage therapy.