Location and Job Title:
Coordinator, Family Engagement and Social Action
Bender JCC of Greater Washington
6125 Montrose Rd
Rockville, MD 20852
About the Bender JCC:
The Bender Jewish Community Center in Rockville, Maryland is a premier community center at the heart of Jewish life in Montgomery County, operating a full-scale health and fitness center, pre-school, day camp and variety of education and arts programs.
We create a welcoming and inclusive environment, connecting the people of our Jewish community with each other, Israel, and the broader community. We inspire individuals of all ages and backgrounds to enhance their social, physical, intellectual and spiritual well-being through programs of excellence rooted in Jewish values.
Our core values are
- Welcoming and inclusive (Hachnassat Orchim) We open our doors to everyone and strive to create an inclusive and accommodating environment for people of different backgrounds, abilities and means.
- Respect (Kavod) We seek to create a town square where our community can be exposed to diverse viewpoints and grapple with difficult issues in a respectful and civil manner.
- Jewish Peoplehood (Klal Yisrael) We create connections to the people, history, culture, and land of Israel and with the Jewish people as a whole, welcoming all Jewish traditions and backgrounds.
- Community (Kehilla) We facilitate relationship building and a sense of belonging to create communities across all stages of life.
- Working together (Byachad) We partner and collaborate with Jewish and secular organizations to build a stronger community.
- Wellness (Shmirat HaNefesh vHaGuf) We promote the well-being and fitness of every person.
- Spirit (Ruach) We infuse spirit and fun into our activities and programs.
Why this role matters:
The Family Engagement Coordinator of the Bender-Dosik Parenting Center (BDPC) will assist in the development of overall program content, implement and evaluate existing and prospective programs, and create activities and events that assist the overall mission of the Bender JCC. This is an exciting opportunity to work directly with our community and have a significant impact on the experience of program participants.
This is a part-time position, scheduled for 20-25 hours a week.
- Assist with creating programs for children, parents, and grandparents that provide ongoing opportunities to learn, socialize, and actively participate both inside and outside the building.
- Assist with special events outside of the standard program, including parent/child classes, speaker series, information/educational sessions, and support groups.
- Support the Family Engagement Team in implementing holiday and Shabbat programming.
- Create and implement programming which provides access to Jewish and multi-faith families.
- Build strong relationships with parents in order to meet their expressed needs.
- Provide excellent customer service to all participants.
- Ensure successful integration of participants in all BDPC programs and the Center at-large.
- Assist in creating, implementing, and facilitating Delivering Good Network programs (social action initiative).
- Create and implement calendar and programming for Wandering J as an accessory for experiences off-site.
- Support oversight of independent contractors for BDPC classes and programs.
- Work in collaboration with the Bender JCCs marketing team in creating and implementing a marketing plan for the BDPC.
- Create partnerships with other Jewish and secular community organizations to compile and analyze trends in engagement to determine and develop future program needs.
- A self-starter. You are not afraid of ambiguity. You understand that it is your job to create the clarity you seek and you relish making order out of chaos.
- Collaborative. You enjoy learning from and with talented colleagues and are excited to be part of the success of the Bender JCC.
- Savvy and Intuitive. You are adept at communicating ideas to a range of stakeholders and you know that different settings often require different methods and tools.
- Passionate about the work. You are motivated by the mission of the Bender JCC and you have a deep connection and desire for this work to exist in the world.
- Innovative and grounded. You love trying new things and devising creative solutions to persistent problems. Most importantly, you know how to make it happen.
- You believe that diversity is a strength. You account for the value of diversity in every aspect of your work and you understand the nuances of diversity that shape the experiences of members and guests.
- Organized. You are able to handle multiple tasks and show a high level of attention to detail in your work.
You should have:
- Ability to work evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed, either on or off site.
- A valid drivers license and comfort with driving cargo van locally.
- Ability to move equipment and supplies as required.
- Understanding of child development and the cognitive, social, and emotional needs of children and their parents.
- Knowledge and interest in Jewish life and learning.
- Experience with budgeting, purchasing, record-keeping, and marketing.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office and Salesforce (or a related CRM).
- Bachelors degree preferred
- Minimum 5 years experience working with children, parents, and families
- Ability to perform other duties and responsibilities as needed, required, or assigned.
- Required COVID-19 vaccination.
Compensation & Benefits
This is a part-time, non-exempt position, with an hourly rate of $23 per hour. The Bender JCC provides a benefits package that includes 403b, FSA, paid holidays, paid time off (PTO), and a flexible working environment. Youll also receive a full family membership to the Bender JCC, including complete access to the entire fitness facility and pools, plus staff discounts on programs and services.
Research shows that women and underrepresented groups apply to jobs only if they feel that they meet 100% of the qualifications. If this role sounds interesting to you, we encourage you to apply! The Bender JCC is committed to building a diverse team that draws on the strengths of people with a variety of identities, backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
Please submit a resume and cover letter with your application to Rebecca Brossy at email@example.com or apply externally at https://www.benderjccgw.org/about-us/jobs/
$25,000 - $35,000
The Bender JCC of Greater Washington is one of the largest metropolitan JCCs in the country. Our mission is create a welcoming and inclusive environment, connecting the people of our Jewish community with each other, Israel, and the broader community. We inspire individuals of all ages and backgrounds to enhance their social, physical, intellectual and spiritual well-being through programs of excellence rooted in Jewish values.
The Bender JCC is a neighborhood a place to feel comfortable, make new friends and meet up with old friends. It is your place to schmooze, work out, learn a new skill, discuss a book, listen to a concert, see a film and much more.