Location and Job Title:
Assistant Aquatics Director (Staten Island)
Henry Kaufman Campgrounds
667 Blauvelt Road
PO Box 175
Pearl River, NY 10965
We are currently seeking an Assistant Aquatics Director for our Aquatics operations at HKC Staten Island. The Assistant Aquatics Director, reporting to the Aquatics Director, assists in the overall management of the pool complex and aquatics program - a staff of approximately 50, swim instruction for more than 1,000 campers daily, equipment, and safety - ensuring that a safe and high-quality swim program is provided to the Agency camps.
As a supervisor, this person will be expected to help foster a culture that values cooperation and respect, inspires team morale, and encourages staff to produce quality work in their commitment to HKC's mission of enhancing the camp experience for the day camps who call HKC home.
The Assistant Aquatics Director is required to live on site during the camp season (June 15, 2020 - August 26, 2020). Room and board will be provided.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Assist with pre-camp pool set up, and post camp break down.
- Have primary oversight of the boating lake and program.
- Have primary responsibility for administrative paperwork.
- Assist the Aquatics Director in supervising and training the aquatics staff.
- With the Aquatics Director, ensure there is always appropriate supervision as per DOH regulations during swim periods.
- Be prepared for emergencies, know how to follow and activate the emergency action plan.
- Assist in maintaining the physical facilities and equipment at the pool complex including:
- Ensure Aquatics Director & Director of Camp Services are aware of all program and personnel issues.
- Daily check in with Aquatics Director on how teams are is doing, maintain records of swag, recognize when lifeguards go above and beyond, or need to be spoken to for improvements.
- Provide first aid to campers and staff when necessary
- Handle incidents when they arise, including but not limited to cleaning up bodily fluids, making saves, etc.
- Serve as RA (Resident Assistant) for the 12 international staff on the aquatics team who live on the grounds during the summer. Duties include overseeing curfew and handling emergencies that arise in off-hours.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Experienced lifeguard/swim instructor
- Customer oriented
- 5+ years supervisory experience
- Experience with Red Cross Swim Instruction program
- Experienced working with children
- Ability to teach all levels of classes for children of all ages
- 4-Year college degree preferred
- Familiarity with New York State DOH regulations for camp aquatics programs
- Lifeguard Management certification preferred
- Current Lifeguard and AED/CPR certification
- Current WSI certification
- Lifeguard instructor trainer preferred
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Home to 13 independently run JCC day camps, the Henry Kaufmann Campgrounds, a core partner agency of UJA-Federation of New York, manages and operates three day camp facilities located in Long Island, Rockland County and Staten Island. Our mission is to enhance the camp experience and provide a safe environment for the campers and counselors who call our grounds home. On any given summer day we welcome more than 5,000 campers and camp staff through our gates. As a seasonal organization, HKC hires 200+ seasonal workers to provide lifeguarding, swim instruction, maintenance, housekeeping and security to ensure we can carry out mission and meet the needs of the camps who camp at HKC.