Location and Job Title:
General Counselors, Camp Twelve Trails
YM & YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood
54 Nagle Ave
New York, NY 10040
At Camp Twelve Trails we are dedicated to universally shared values central to Jewish life. Our proactive integration of these values into everything we do supports children of all backgrounds and helps them grow into better people. Our warm, welcoming culture fosters a vibrant camp community where we all look out for each other and take care of the world around us. Staff are central to carrying out this vision by crafting programs that are in line with our educational outcomes, beliefs, and providing positive, enthusiastic energy every day. We expect staff above all to deliver the wow!
General Counselors are responsible for the overall safety and supervision of campers, including their successful engagement in all aspects of the Camp Twelve Trails experience, including trips, general activities, and aquatics.
- Participate, partake in, and lead pre-camp training.
DUTIES DURING CAMP
- Along with your co-counselor, supervise 12-15 campers of all abilities and needs, during camp activities and provide the highest level of support and programming.
- Ensure for the health, safety, and welfare of all campers in any area or programs at camp.
- Full participation in all camp activities, including swim twice a day.
- Lead and/or assist in small and large group activities either within your group or in specialty areas.
- Work as part of a larger team to insure consistency and continuity with all camper supports.
- Be familiar with and enforce the personnel policies, safety rules, and program of camp.
- Participate in all camp meetings, activities and special programs.
- Keep records as required, including documenting all incidents and behavioral issue.
- Regularly update supervisors and Leadership staff on issues pertaining to campers.
- Model appropriate behavior to campers including on the bus to and from camp.
- Use positive behavior-management techniques with campers.
- Perform any other program or agency-related duties or special projects as directed by supervisor.
- Must be entering senior year of High school or equivalent;
- Previous experience working with children;
- Strong communication and problem solving skills.
- Ability to remain calm, patient and maintain perspective under pressure.
- Commitment to work collaboratively with others.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to changing needs.
- Much be energetic, enthusiastic and demonstrate and desire to go the extra mile;
Status: Full-time Seasonal, Mondays through Fridays, June 29 - August 21, including 40-45 hours of staff training in May and June
Hours: 8:00am-5:00pm during the summer
Established in 1917 as one of the first Jewish community centers in New York City, the YM & YWHA of Washington Heights and Inwood (the Y) is a thriving and visionary not-for-profit human services organization in Northern Manhattan. We welcome people of diverse ethnicities and all ages, from pre-school to older adults, into the Y family with a wide range of educational, recreational and social services and programs that focus on improving the quality of their lives. With a long and distinguished history, the Y is a multi-service community center that is well known for its nurturing environment and non-judgmental philosophy.