You are here: Home
| Search for a Job
Location and Job Title:
Fitness Center Floor Staff
Bender JCC of Greater Washington
6125 Montrose Rd
Rockville, MD 20852
Please apply through our website.
About the Bender JCC:
The Bender Jewish Community Center in Rockville, Maryland is a premier community center at the heart of Jewish life in Montgomery County, operating a full-scale health and fitness center, pre-school, day camp and variety of education and arts programs.
We create a welcoming and inclusive environment, connecting the people of our Jewish community with each other, Israel, and the broader community. We inspire individuals of all ages and backgrounds to enhance their social, physical, intellectual and spiritual well-being through programs of excellence rooted in Jewish values.
Our core values are
- Welcoming and inclusive (Hachnassat Orchim) - We open our doors to everyone and strive to create an inclusive and accommodating environment for people of different backgrounds, abilities and means.
- Respect (Kavod) - We seek to create a town square where our community can be exposed to diverse viewpoints and grapple with difficult issues in a respectful and civil manner.
- Jewish Peoplehood (Klal Yisrael) - We create connections to the people, history, culture, and land of Israel and with the Jewish people as a whole, welcoming all Jewish traditions and backgrounds.
- Community (Kehilla) - We facilitate relationship building and a sense of belonging to create communities across all stages of life.
- Working together (B'yachad) - We partner and collaborate with Jewish and secular organizations to build a stronger community.
- Wellness (Shmirat HaNefesh v'HaGuf) - We promote the well-being and fitness of every person.
- Spirit (Ruach) - We infuse spirit and fun into our activities and programs.
Why this role matters:
Our floor staff is essential the Bender JCC, providing a constant presence in the fitness center and associated areas. Floor staff maintain a clean and safe environment, engaging and assisting all members and guests. This is an exciting opportunity to work directly with our community and have a significant impact on the experience of members and guests.
- Be present on the fitness center floor or associated fitness areas
- Engage members and guests in their health and well being
- Maintain a safe and clean environment
- Effectively communicate usage and other activities through verbal and written channels
- Wear designated staff uniform of red fitness shirt, black or khaki pants or shorts and athletic shoes
- Assist members in the use of equipment as needed
- Engage members in conversation about JCCGW programs and associated activities
- Wipe down all parts of equipment including the seats
- Monitor locker rooms
- Tactfully enforce fitness center rules and policies
- Monitor and refill touchless soap and equipment wipes dispensers
- Complete communications logs at the end of each shift
- Be aware of equipment issues, malfunctions or damage and report these to the fitness manager or the fitness director
- Manage TV and radio throughout the fitness center
- Refrain from using personal hand held devices while on duty unless for emergency reasons
- Open and close the fitness center per the daily shift checklist
- Supportive. You want the best for those around you and are excited about their accomplishments. You work to create a supportive environment to help colleagues and members thrive.
- Reliable. You arrive on time for scheduled shifts and show consistency in your work.
- You believe that diversity is a strength. You account for the value of diversity in every aspect of your work and you understand the nuances of diversity that shape the experiences of members and guests.
- Open to feedback. You have a desire and willingness to learn and grow, using feedback as an opportunity for professional development.
- Communicative. You engage in and understand the importance of effective communication.
- Flexible. You're comfortable with change in your work environment and schedule.
You should have:
- Ability to lift 40lbs or greater
- Knowledge and use of varied fitness equipment provided to members and guests
- Ability to use 2 way radio (walkie-talkie)
- Ability to manage and adjust different forms of media utilized in the fitness center, including television and radio
- Ability to work varied hours within the normal operating hours of the JCCGW fitness center
- Ability to stand for long periods
- Basic computer/internet skills
- Strong customer service skills
- HS diploma or equivalent
- CPR/AED Certification
- First Aid preferred
- Ability to perform other duties and responsibilities as needed, required, or assigned
- Required COVID-19 vaccination
Research shows that women and underrepresented groups apply to jobs only if they feel that they meet 100% of the qualifications. If this role sounds interesting to you, we encourage you to apply! The Bender JCC is committed to building a diverse team that draws on the strengths of people with a variety of identities, backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
Please apply through our website.
The Bender JCC of Greater Washington is one of the largest metropolitan JCCs in the country. Our mission is create a welcoming and inclusive environment, connecting the people of our Jewish community with each other, Israel, and the broader community. We inspire individuals of all ages and backgrounds to enhance their social, physical, intellectual and spiritual well-being through programs of excellence rooted in Jewish values.
The Bender JCC is a neighborhood a place to feel comfortable, make new friends and meet up with old friends. It is your place to schmooze, work out, learn a new skill, discuss a book, listen to a concert, see a film and much more.