Counselors are the primary caregivers for each camper. The Counselor is responsible for planning, teaching, coordinating, and carrying out activities and guiding campers in their personal growth and daily living skills.
Length of Position:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Assist in the direction, supervision, and organization of campers in their camper group within activities and throughout the camp in order to meet the intended camper outcomes.
2. Participate in the development and implementation of program activities for campers within the mission and outcomes.
3. Maintain high standards of health and safety in all activities for campers and staff.
4. Be a role model to campers and staff in your attitude and behavior.
5. Represent the camp when interacting with parents or community members.
Other Job Duties:
The work environment is usually fast paced. This job requires high energy and interaction with staff as well as with members, other agency staff, community leaders, and outside partners, vendors, others.
Ability to communicate and work with groups participating (age and skill levels) and provide necessary instruction to campers and staff.
Ability to observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques.
Ability to observe staff behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate management techniques.
Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity.
Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive, and incumbent will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by supervisor or other management as required. The JCC reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the needs arise. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
1. Must be 18 years of age or high school graduate.
2. Ability to interact with all age levels.
3. Must submit health history record and examination form prior to first day of work.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Understanding of the development needs of youth.
2. Ability to relate to youth and adults in a positive manner.
3. Demonstrated knowledge and skill in program areas designated camp program areas.
JCC membership is like becoming a part of a family, everyone truly is welcome! Drop by and take a tour; you won't believe how many wonderful recreational, educational, social and cultural activities you will find here. There really is something for everyone! Members enjoy a wide variety of benefits including free group fitness classes and use of our Fitness Center, Aquatics Center, Parenting Center, Teen Center and Performing Arts Center. Special member rates save you money on many classes and events as well.