Location and Job Title:
Summer Camp Site Assistant - Cold Spring/Hudson Valley, NY
Surprise Lake Camp
520 8 Ave
New York, NY 10018
Site Assistant (AKA Driver/Schleppers) are the movers and shakers. They are up early and work late. They are physically and mentally strong, hard-working, reliable, respectful, and team players. The Site Assistants are part of a team of 4-5 guys who live in close quarters for the full summer, stepping up for each other when needed, keeping complaints and blame to a minimum.
- Supervised by and responsible to the Administrative Director.
- Assist with moving beds, mattresses, furniture, and other equipment throughout camp.
- Assist with cleanup and general maintenance throughout camp.
- Along with other site assistants, perform daily trips to the train, post office, and mall as scheduled.
- Perform miscellaneous chores and assignments as needed.
- Help with luggage loading, unloading and distribution at camp on arrival and departure days.
- Along with other site assistants, perform daily garbage and recycling pickups throughout camp.
- Assist with daily food deliveries to Teenside.
- Assist with daily mail/package deliveries to Teenside.
- Serve on evening rotations and be available for emergencies as needed.
- Responsible for daily vehicle checks including filling fuel tank, checking oil and water daily and completing reports as necessary.
- Required to inform supervisor if there is a problem with safety or performance of the vehicle.
- Serve as a role model and provide support to campers when needed.
- Fully participate in general staff orientation and all staff meetings.
- Attend all meals.
- Help prepare camp for opening and closing at beginning and end of season.
- Be responsible for knowing and adhering to camp policies, procedures, safety, and emergency policies.
- Report all suspicions of child abuse, bullying, or rule-breaking to proper authorities
- Participate in final clean up at end of summer.
- Be consistent. Remember that you, too, are worthy of rest and renewal. Take care of yourself.
- At least 21 years of age
- Must be able to lift heavy loads of 50lbs or more
- Must be able to work up to 60 hours a week
- Must have clean driving record and have been licensed for at least five years
Since 1902, Surprise Lake Camp has provided a haven for children in the beautiful mountains of Cold Spring, NY. What makes SLC the best is the beauty of the site, the richness of the people and the program, the sense of history and tradition, and the magic we create when the whole thing comes together. We blend a commitment to traditional, rustic camp experiences with state of the art recreational facilities and are particularly proud of our open, inclusive community that is sensitive to the needs of interfaith and diverse families.
The position runs from June 16-August 19, 6 days per week. Pre-camp and post-camp work is also available.
Site Assistants live full time at camp (can leave on days/nights off), and camp provides full room and board. (Housing and 3 meals a day).