Location and Job Title:
Kids' Club Cleveland & Kids' Club Joaquin Miller Afterschool Teacher
Jewish Community Center of the East Bay
1414 Walnut St
Berkeley, CA 94709
The Kids' Club Cleveland Afterschool Teacher will report directly to the Kids' Club Cleveland Afterschool Leadership Team and will be instrumental in the success of the JCC East Bay's Afterschool Program at Cleveland Elementary. The Kids' Club Joaquin Miller Afterschool Teacher will report directly to the Kids' Club Joaquin Miller Afterschool Leadership Team and will be instrumental in the success of the JCC East Bay's Afterschool Program at Joaquin Miller Elementary. Teachers must be able to create a positive educational climate where students can learn and grow. Teachers will be responsible for preparing and implementing several weekly developmentally appropriate classes based on their personal passions and skills. The Kids' Club Afterschool Teacher will work throughout the school year, from August until May, approximately 22-25 hours per week.
- Supervise children, including planning, preparation and implementation of developmental programming for children in kindergarten through fifth grade.
- Create instructional resources and curriculum that reflect the diverse educational, cultural, and linguistic backgrounds of the students served.
- Establish and communicate clear objectives for all learning activities.
- Ability to lead and supervise children in a variety of activities, both structured and unstructured.
- Observe and evaluate students' performance.
- Ability to tutor students on an individual level, in specific subjects as well as general schoolwork.
- Mindful and aware of children's needs to promote growth and foster curiosity.
- Manage student behavior in the classroom by invoking approved disciplinary action when necessary.
- Assist with parent communication when necessary.
Learning and Development
- Read and stay abreast of current topics in education.
- Participate in ongoing professional development and Jewish holiday training sessions.
- Act as a positive and appropriate role model for children and fellow staff.
- Contribute to overall program development; support the goals of the JCC East Bay.
- Maintain organization and cleanliness during programming; assist in keeping all afterschool spaces organized and operational.
- Communicate with Afterschool administrative team when supplies are needed.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings.
- Assist with daily kinder pickups.
- Consistent attendance as an afterschool teacher is required as this role is a critical component in the success of the afterschool program.
- Never be on cell phones while on the job (unless there is an emergency).
- Must be comfortable upholding an antiracist program.
Health & Safety
- Full vaccination for Covid-19 required for all JCC East Bay staff; staff will be asked to submit appropriate documentation to HR when completing onboarding paperwork.
- Must wear a mask at all times, unless eating or drinking.
- Must abide by other Covid-19 prevention strategies as assigned.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Salary information will be shared one-on-one with candidates. Excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, vacation, sick pay, and holidays.
- 2+ years of childcare or equivalent experience.
- Must have experience working with children grades K-5 and be able to plan appropriate activities for different age groups.
- Applicants must be 18+ years of age and completed high school
- BA in Education or relevant field preferred.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to organize tasks, and develop and implement plans to efficiently meet organizational goals.
- Ability to lead a classroom of children.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Ability to push/pull and lift/carry objects weighing 50 pounds.
- Ability to walk and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to sit on floors and chairs, and to get up and down quickly.
- Ability to bend from knees and waist to help a child.
- Ability to maneuver in confined lavatories to aid children with toilet needs.
- Ability to respond without delay to the needs of young children.
- Regular and consistent attendance and ability to work a full shift; must be available Monday through Friday from 1pm-6pm and Wednesdays 12:30pm-6pm.
$16.59/hr - $19.94/hr.
The JCC East Bay is a welcoming home for people of all ages and life stages. Our mission is to create healthy communities inspired by Jewish values, culture, and tradition. We build interpersonal relationships, foster learning and inspiration, and explore Jewish life. The JCC's core programs include intergenerational Jewish holiday celebrations; early childhood education and preschool; camp and afterschool programs; and provocative cultural arts and civic engagement events. The JCC serves and reflects the diverse residents of the East Bay, offering gathering spaces for the Jewish and broader community