Location and Job Title:
Director of Finance (DOF)
Shorefront YM-YWHA of Brighton Manhattan Beach
3300 Coney Island Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11235
The Director of Finance (DOF) will be a strategic thought-partner and report to the Executive Director. The successful candidate will be a hands-on and participative manager and will lead and develop an internal team to support SFY's fiscal operations. The DOF will play a critical role in partnering with the Executive Director in strategic decision making and operations as SFY continues to build its internal capacity.
The DOF will be responsible for oversight of all finance, accounting and reporting activities, and lead the day-to-day financial operations of a budget of about $8M. They must demonstrate strong supervisory skills and the ability to develop teams and motivate staff to peak performance. The DOF will also be responsible for strengthening internal controls and implementing accounting policies and procedures in compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, legal and statutory requirements. The DOF will work closely with program leadership and their staff, not only to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures but also to explore how the finance function can better support program operations.
Areas of responsibility include accounting, budgeting, investments, banking relations, cash management, payroll and employee benefits, grants and contract management, annual independent audit, monthly financial statements, capital projects reconciliation and maintenance of financial information systems.
The DOF will be solutions and customer-oriented and responsive to internal and external changes, in order to support SFY's programs and operations and the overall vison, mission and strategic direction. The DOF will work closely with the Executive Director, the SFY senior management team and several board members. This position supervises a grant accountant and part time bookkeeper/accounting assistant that supports finance in a part-time capacity.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
Responsible for directing day-to-day accounting functions and maintaining the accuracy and completeness of the financial records and the timely recording of all financial transactions, including payroll, disbursements, pledges, cash receipts, inventory, and necessary accruals and adjusting journal entries.
- Maintain all records in compliance to generally accepted accounting principles, organization's accounting principles, policies and procedures, internal financial controls and initiatives.
- Ensure proper allocation of shared costs and review and improve methodology on a regular basis
- Review all vouchers, accounts payables/receivables, journal entries, and checks
- Oversee grant accountant's work to ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period
- Maintain the chart of accounts and maintain an orderly electronic accounting and compliance document retention system
- Develop, analyze, & make recommendations relating to accounting & financial systems to ensure effective & efficient financial operations; maximizing usage of systems (Sage MIP/Abila, Paychex)
- Perform a review and approval of semi-monthly payroll data changes to ensure accuracy before final processing of payroll.
- Supervise the monitoring and remittance of employee benefits, including filing annual Form 5500 and administering vacation and other paid time-off policies
Audit & Risk Management:
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process to include the Single Audit and completion of Form 990 and NYS CHAR500
- Liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors; assess any changes necessary
- Manage and coordinate the provision of schedules, work papers & other information requested by independent external auditors to perform the annual audit
- Monitor relevant open regulatory issues that might impact our organization
- Perform internal audits and assess effectiveness of internal controls
Budget, Planning, Reporting:
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the executive director and program leadership; administer and review budget vs. actuals reporting in order to monitor progress and changes
- Conduct monthly review and oversee reconciliation of general ledger accounts, including detailed analyses of balance sheet, revenue and expense accounts to ensure accurate and timely reporting
- Analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner, clearly communicate and keep the executive director and program leadership abreast of the organizations' financial status
- Perform trend analysis
- Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Manage organization's cash flow and forecasting and cash management solutions.
- Provide leadership for high performance, morale and excellent customer/client service
- Help to develop or identify training programs to maximize & reach individual/departmental goals
- Supervise the personnel and functions of the accounting team, including the annual goal-setting and performance management processes and systems
- Update and implement all necessary accounting and internal controls practices to strengthen the departments overall policy and procedure manual
- Develop and maintain dashboard of key performance indicators of accounting team
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Seasoned leader with strategic orientation and hands-on approach
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance, MBA and/or CPA preferred
- 10+ years accounting or finance experience, incl. nonprofits with both public and private funding
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills
- Experience managing staff and reporting to boards
- Demonstrated leadership ability, confidence and executive presence - ability to motivate staff
- Independent yet collaborative work style
- Excellent problem solving, analytical, and reasoning skills
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
The Shorefront YM-YWHA of Brighton-Manhattan Beach, Inc. (SFY) builds community, strengthens families and empowers individuals to achieve their potentials and enhance their quality their lives. Our programs and services reflect the richness of the Shorefront YM-YWHA's Community Center and Settlement House traditions. We reach out to and serve people of all backgrounds and abilities throughout their life spans.
We provide a wide range of exemplary educational, recreational, preventive and rehabilitative health, vocational, cultural, citizenship, Jewish identity-building and human service programs to meet the evolving strengths, needs and interests of the rich mosaic of people in southern Brooklyn.
The Shorefront YM-YWHA maximizes the impact of its resources and expertise by forming partnerships and alliances with other organizations, government agencies and philanthropic institutions that share our commitments and values.