Location and Job Title:
Youth and Family Coordinator
5403 Monument Ave
Richmond, VA 23226
The Youth and Family Coordinator is responsible for assisting with the planning and implementation of Camp Hilbert and the development & implementation of a variety of programs and activities for (K-8th), family & special community/holiday events. This position requires a strong ability to build relationships with a diverse population including youth, parents, staff and community partners as well as creativity in program planning.This position must demonstrate a commitment to helping make an impact in both the Jewish community and the greater community at large in accordance with the Weinstein JCC overall mission, strategic direction and culture.
The Youth and Family Coordinator reports to the Director of Youth, Family and Camp and the primary focus of the position is on the development of a successful camp season, and the program development & staffing for youth services during the school year.
This is an exempt full-time position with benefits requiring working some evenings and weekends.
Camp Hilbert Preparation
- Assists with recruiting, interviewing, checking references, and employment paperwork coordination for Camp Hilbert staff
- Assists with development and implementation of staff training and orientation, and training materials
- Researches and develops Camp's curriculum, lesson plans, and summer calendars and schedules
- Meets with specialist staff to review expectations, ensure lesson plans are prepared
- Plans, coordinates, and organizes field trips and special event days at Camp
- Assists with camper recruitment and parent communication
- Helps maintain the Camp's database
- Helps with purchasing equipment and supplies
Camp Hilbert Seasonal Duties
- Serves as Camp Hilbert Assistant Director, directly responsible for programming
- Supervises Camp Hilbert's program specialists, ensuring programming meets high standards and is camper focused
- Responds promptly to unanticipated, complex changes to planned activities and programs
- Manages camp program equipment and supplies including inventorying and organization before, during, and after summer
- Works with Unit Heads to plan and run late nights and over nights
- Promotes and models professional attitude in daily work by: taking an active role in professional development, setting standards that other staff should also adhere to, recognizing and respecting matters of confidentiality, ensuring the needs of all programs are met and staff needs are accommodated
- Assists when additional staff's presence is needed
- Promotes active and open communication amongst staff
- Maintains respectful relationships between all staff
- Ensure that staff's morale is positive, enthusiastic and energetic
- Conducts specialist staff evaluations, and provides on-going feedback
- Work with counselors and other Administrators to resolve camper issues
- Perform other related duties as assigned by Camp Director
Youth and Family Programs
- Plans and runs Middle School Programs and events to include Tikkun Olam Super Stars (TOSS), Middle School Ski Trip, Middle School Lock In
- Plans and runs Saturday Nights at the J
- Plans, coordinates, and runs Youth and Family Community programs to include Fall Festival, Purim Carnival, and other pertinent events and Work with JCC departments to cross-promote these events
- Innovates and grows Youth and Family School Year programs and events and engage lay leadership in the process when appropriate
- Works with the Marketing Department to market all Youth and Family programs and events in an effective and timely manner
- Manages the budget for all School Year Youth and Family programs and events to ensure program sand events meet budget constraints
- Recruits staff for School Year Youth and Family programs as necessary
- Collaborates and coordinates with other Weinstein JCC departments and staff as well as community partners as necessary for Youth and Family programs and events
- Purchases supplies and works with vendors for programs and events as necessary
- Communicates with families, program participants, and volunteers regarding events and programs in a timely manner
This position requires strong motivational skills, initiative, a relationship building track record with children and parents, and excellent supervisory skills. Exceptional leader and team player with interpersonal and organizational skills, with a strong educational background and experience working with children and youth. Knowledge and experience in Jewish day camping and youth and family engagement.
- Excellent interpersonal (relationship development) and communication skills
- Experience with program management and implementation
- Must demonstrate the aptitude and willingness to be a visible and active team player
- Strong critical and creative thinking skills
- Strong organizational and computer skills
- Mature disposition, creativity, outgoing and energetic personality
- 3 years' experience in camping as a staff member
- Ability to work evenings, weekends, and overnights as needed
- Knowledge of Jewish Holidays and customs
- Background in informal Jewish education is a plus but not required
- Knowledge and understanding issues of youth growth and development
- Highly organized, attentive to detail and ability to work independently; a self-starter
- Sense of humor and a serious interest in having fun
The Weinstein JCC is a place where people of all ages and faiths belong. We strive to maintain the highest standards for facilities and programming and offer classes, services and events that contribute to the well-being of the Jewish and Richmond Community.
We're Richmond's home for fitness, aquatics, early childhood education, after-school childcare, summer camps, senior programs, cultural arts, and much more!
The Weinstein JCC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our workforce. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.