Location and Job Title:
Early Childhood Center Director
Kaplen JCC on the Palisades
411 E. Clinton Ave.
Tenafly, NJ 07670
The Kaplen Jewish Community Center is seeking an energetic, organized, passionate educator and forward-thinking leader with excellent interpersonal and communication skills to oversee and coordinate the early childhood programs at the JCC. The JCC's Leonard and Syril Rubin Early Childhood Center is a child-centered and Reggio-inspired school and includes 22 classrooms, approximately 250 students ranging from 3 months - 5 years, a faculty of 60 educators, and a team of administrators. The ECC Nursery School serves as the JCC's entry for hundreds of families and is a critical foundation of our JCC programming, operations and community.
- Oversee the curriculum and general atmosphere of the early childhood operations, ensuring a strong developmentally appropriate learning environment while blending together Jewish education and the overall vision and mission of the school and JCC
- Facilitate classroom expectations, accountability and management
- Manage all aspects of staffing for the Early Childhood department including, recruitment, supervision, coaching, mentoring and professional development for educators and the administrative team
- Facilitation of proactive communication with parents, faculty, leadership and colleagues
- Oversight of a $3.5M departmental budget
- Long-term strategic plan
- Participate and work collaboratively with the JCC management team
- Create and maintain strong relationships with faculty, parents, PA committees, leadership and colleagues
- Active participant in discussions surrounding best practice in Early Childhood Education and is capable of integrating the most successful strategies from a number of educational philosophies involving emergent curriculum, the competence of children, developmentally appropriate learning into our Reggio-inspired school
- Excels at communicating to parents, board members and staff
- Clarity to create goals and tangible means of measuring success
- Serves as a mentor to teachers and staff and actively facilities professional development
- Ability to align educational and fiscal priorities
- Forms warm and caring relationships with preschool children, their parents and caregivers that honor the importance of all individuals to our community
- Understands the crucial role JCCs have to play as a central touchstone in modern Jewish life and seeks collaborative opportunities with other signature programs among a friendly, dedicated staff that works cooperatively to build community
- Bachelor's Degree required, Master's Degree and/or Administrative Degree preferred, in Early Childhood Education or related field
- Has at least 5 years of management experience (preferably within Early Childhood education) with a proven track record of success, communication and interpersonal skills
- Collaborative and successful in cooperative working environments
- Strong supervisory, management, communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent budget and financial management skills
- Deals effectively with change and demonstrates agility
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Salary is commensurate with previous Early Childhood experience and educational background. Hiring is subject to completion of a background check, fingerprinting, criminal history record information, and child abuse record information check. This is a full-time exempt staff position with access to full benefits.
Kaplen JCC On The Palisades is a welcoming home away from home for all who pass through its front doors. Our 185,000 square foot building plus acres of outside grounds feature 2 fitness centers, an indoor and outdoor aquatics center, group exercise, spin and pilates studios, 2 gymnasiums, tennis and racquet courts, indoor track, a luxurious spa, multiple playgrounds and fields and so much more. The JCC is home to the renowned Thurnauer School of Music, Leonard and Syril Rubin Nursery School, Neil Klatskin Day Camp, and the JCC Dance and Drama Schools. The JCC is also proud to offer extensive, high quality programs and services to adults of all ages, as well as to seniors and individuals with special needs.
Our vision is to be the center point of Jewish life in our community and to engage all generations in our mission and values.
Deeply rooted in Jewish values and tradition, the Kaplen JCC on the Palisades is a vibrant home for the Jewish People that welcomes all and cultivates the social, intellectual, physical and spiritual well-being of the entire community.
We are committed to demonstrating the following values and ask respect for these values from those with whom we interact:
CONNECTION TO JUDAISM AND ISRAEL
TIKKUN OLAM (repairing the world)